The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

Any thoughts on how the rest of quarter-finals will go?

I expect Mayo to beat Donegal comfortably. Donegal averaged 27 shots per match last year but in the three Ulster matches this year it was 18, 18 and 21 (I think).

Donegal’s defence contributed 2-14 last year in 7 matches but only 0-3 in 4 matches so far this year.

They just haven’t been anywhere near last year’s standards in any of their matches this year and I can’t see that changing. A fresh and hungry Mayo to win by 6 to 8 points.

Donegal playing for the third week in a row is not an advantage for such a mentally tired team but it is an advantage for Tyrone and Cavan.

Monaghan will find it very difficult as well to match their performance in the Ulster final. Tyrone have only been tipping along but I expect them to up their performance significantly now the business end of the championship is in sight. Tyrone by 2-3 points.

Kerry are vulnerable against Cavan and I think this will be a lot closer than people think but their experience will probably just about get them through. In some ways this is the match I’m looking forward to most as I think Cavan’s system is perfectly set up to deal with Kerry and Socks, Keating and Mackey will cause serious problems with their pace. I wouldn’t rule out the shock but expect Kerry to grind out a win by 2 or 3 points.

[quote=“Bandage, post: 808815, member: 9”]Interesting viewpoint from Tony McEntee in The Examiner today:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/tony-mcentee/football-is-not-a-math-problem-to-be-solved-238234.html#.Ufa_3kw90nM.twitter[/quote]

He is so right. All the signs of it at Crossmaglen as well. There is a reason not that many of them play for Armagh, because they are not good enough, yet when playing for Cross they have a savage unit.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 809470, member: 183”]Any thoughts on how the rest of quarter-finals will go?

I expect Mayo to beat Donegal comfortably. Donegal averaged 27 shots per match last year but in the three Ulster matches this year it was 18, 18 and 21 (I think).

Donegal’s defence contributed 2-14 last year in 7 matches but only 0-3 in 4 matches so far this year.

They just haven’t been anywhere near last year’s standards in any of their matches this year and I can’t see that changing. A fresh and hungry Mayo to win by 6 to 8 points.

Donegal playing for the third week in a row is not an advantage for such a mentally tired team but it is an advantage for Tyrone and Cavan.

Monaghan will find it very difficult as well to match their performance in the Ulster final. Tyrone have only been tipping along but I expect them to up their performance significantly now the business end of the championship is in sight. Tyrone by 2-3 points.

Kerry are vulnerable against Cavan and I think this will be a lot closer than people think but their experience will probably just about get them through. In some ways this is the match I’m looking forward to most as I think Cavan’s system is perfectly set up to deal with Kerry and Socks, Keating and Mackey will cause serious problems with their pace. I wouldn’t rule out the shock but expect Kerry to grind out a win by 2 or 3 points.[/quote]

Agree with you in everything there, was about to post something similar.

Hope we’re both wrong on Tyrone. I’m really disliking them right now and loving Monaghan. There may not be much difference in cynical ism if you broke it down, but Monaghan are unapologetic about it, Tyrone hide behind a mask. A Micky Harte mask.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 809697, member: 273”]Agree with you in everything there, was about to post something similar.

Hope we’re both wrong on Tyrone. I’m really disliking them right now and loving Monaghan. There may not be much difference in cynical ism if you broke it down, but Monaghan are unapologetic about it, Tyrone hide behind a mask. A Micky Harte mask.[/quote]

I am hoping Monaghan beat those sneaky cunts Tyrone on Saturday. I will be heading in early to watch this match before watching the Dubs rip into Cork. :slight_smile:

Agreed. The cynicism out of Tyrone on Sat was the worst I’ve seen in a long time. Cavanagh’s tackle at one stage was something a rugby player would be proud of. Time for those clowns to leave the stage. Monaghan are a breath of fresh air - similar to the scenes we’re seeing in the hurling championship this year.

Massive mistake under estimating Cork. They are bound to get it right at some stage and Dublin may have peaked a bit early.

Cork are better than people are saying (unbelievable disrespect to Galway, their players, gameplan and management) and Dublin are not as good as being made out.

Having said tht I still think Dubs will win, with a late surge.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 809819, member: 273”]Massive mistake under estimating Cork. They are bound to get it right at some stage and Dublin may have peaked a bit early.

Cork are better than people are saying (unbelievable disrespect to Galway, their players, gameplan and management) and Dublin are not as good as being made out.

Having said tht I still think Dubs will win, with a late surge.[/quote]

Ah Caomhaoin, I am not under estimating Cork at all, I just wanted to wind yis up. :slight_smile: I do think it will be a close game between Dublin and Cork. We do have the fire power to win the game but we are weak at the back and really need to tighten up back there. I think we will win but it will only be in the last 15 -20 minutes when we can bring on few fresh players from the bench like McMannaman and Rock.

Taz has done the impossible, he has starting me considering rooting for Cork.

At least they are your 6&7th best forwards, we leave probably our 2&3rd best forwards on bench.

I like Rock, big, strong, intelligent and scores.

Big worrys for dubs are

• Brogans form
  • Sheehan on ROC and high ball
  • Walsh on Brennan
  • midfield (in the air)
  • Loughrey won’t shut Killkenny down, but he’ll make it much harder than Meath game
  • Corks full back line played really well the last day when you realise how exposed they were. If they tackle and play like they did again and receive some cover an help from outside then Dublin could become frustrated.

Things for cork to worry about

• midfield an half back on turn are poor, that could be carnage against this Dublin counter attack
  • Canty
  • related to above, full back line being sold up the swanny
  • Mannion
  • half back/midfield running game
  • averge form and work rate of Daniel Goulding
  • little creativity at half forward, or anywhere really

Tyrone will hammer Monaghan
ill do tyrone -5 id say,

[SIZE=4][FONT=Lucida Bright][SIZE=18px][SIZE=3]Fitzgerald and Donaghy get nod for Kingdom’s Cavan clash:[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/fitzgerald-and-donaghy-get-nod-for-kingdoms-cavan-clash-238438.html[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]pity Jamesy is injured, Donaghy slows it up a bit too much[/SIZE]

[quote=“Bandage, post: 808815, member: 9”]Interesting viewpoint from Tony McEntee in The Examiner today:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/tony-mcentee/football-is-not-a-math-problem-to-be-solved-238234.html#.Ufa_3kw90nM.twitter[/quote]
Fantastic article.

Dublin are a phenomenal team. No other team in the championship will have the pace to live with the dubs. Anyone of their six forwards are match winners in their own right. As others have alluded to already they possess unbelievable depth.

They possess some of the best talent to come onto the football scene in a long time. The fact that these players have come along together is frightening for the opposition.

I would not be surprised to see them dominate the championship for the next decade, winning at least half of the all irelands over this period.

They have a man in charge (with Clare roots i’m led to believe) who lets players express themselves and this will be the key to their longevity and the antithesis to burnout. He is exactly the type of manager that Tony McEntee refers to .

[quote=“fenwaypark, post: 810082, member: 276”]Fantastic article.

Dublin are a phenomenal team. No other team in the championship will have the pace to live with the dubs. Anyone of their six forwards are match winners in their own right. As others have alluded to already they possess unbelievable depth.

They possess some of the best talent to come onto the football scene in a long time. The fact that these players have come along together is frightening for the opposition.

I would not be surprised to see them dominate the championship for the next decade, winning at least half of the all irelands over this period.

They have a man in charge (with Clare roots i’m led to believe) who lets players express themselves and this will be the key to their longevity and the antithesis to burnout. He is exactly the type of manager that Tony McEntee refers to .[/quote]

Relax on Dublin. They have won nothing yet. They went out of the Championship last year in a whimper as defending Champions - should have been beaten by Laois and beaten by Mayo. I accept that they have changed this year, the biggest introduction has been Mannion who looks a real player but things were close against a only decent Meath side in the Leinster final. Those forwards you speak of include Connolly (who I recall one game which could be described as anything near match winning) and O’Gara who started the last day.

Of the teams left I think Dublin will win it but I still think they have a lot to prove to justify all this hype that surrounds them.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 810093, member: 24”]Relax on Dublin. They have won nothing yet.
[/quote]
All-Ireland 2011
National League 2013
Leinster title 2013

[quote=“Sidney, post: 810096, member: 183”]All-Ireland 2011
National League 2013
Leinster title 2013[/quote]

An All Ireland two years ago. A meek surrender last year.

National League - I said that they look better this year. But not even you consider a League much of an honour.

Leinster title - they won about 10 of them in the last 12 years and have only 1 All Ireland.

Don’t get me wrong - they look good and they will probably win it. But this stuff which fenwaypark was saying was way over the top and typical of the comments around this Dublin team.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 810093, member: 24”]Relax on Dublin. They have won nothing yet. They went out of the Championship last year in a whimper as defending Champions - should have been beaten by Laois and beaten by Mayo. I accept that they have changed this year, the biggest introduction has been Mannion who looks a real player but things were close against a only decent Meath side in the Leinster final. Those forwards you speak of include Connolly (who I recall one game which could be described as anything near match winning) and O’Gara who started the last day.

Of the teams left I think Dublin will win it but I still think they have a lot to prove to justify all this hype that surrounds them.[/quote]
Last year’s team were suffering physically and mentally from their exertions in winning the All Ireland in 2011, which was three years in the making.

The current team and style of play is far removed from that team and needs to be evaluated in its own right.

I agree, they need to win to justify the ‘hype’, but even if they don’t do it this year, I would be confident that they will be the standard bearers for the foreseeable future.

Obviously, I hope Cork beat them and go on to win the All Ireland but if they don’t, I hope Dublin win the All Ireland. It would be the best thing to happen to football in a long time.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 810101, member: 24”]An All Ireland two years ago. A meek surrender last year.

National League - I said that they look better this year. But not even you consider a League much of an honour.

Leinster title - they won about 10 of them in the last 12 years and have only 1 All Ireland.

Don’t get me wrong - they look good and they will probably win it. But this stuff which fenwaypark was saying was way over the top and typical of the comments around this Dublin team.[/quote]
Dublin’s defeat to Mayo was anything but a meek surrender in the end. If you bring up last year, you cant say they have won nothing yet because the 2012 team was the same as the 2011 one.

Dublin hadn’t won the League in 20 years so yes, I do consider it a significant win.

Personally, I think if Cork put in the type of big performance that the quality of their players always suggests they are capable of, Saturday’s match could be one of the greatest of all-time.

[quote=“fenwaypark, post: 810109, member: 276”]

Obviously, I hope Cork beat them and go on to win the All Ireland but if they don’t, I hope Dublin win the All Ireland. It would be the best thing to happen to football in a long time.[/quote]
If Dublin play Mayo or Monaghan in the All-Ireland final I hope they lose, and no, I’m not winding.

Sid, you don’t mean that;)

I’m not so sure about that. It seems a bit convenient.

I agree. At the end of this Championship, let’s evaluate them. But not yet.

Possibly - their team is young and they have decent underage teams. But I’m not sure how you can say that with confidence.

I am one of these people fascinated with the tactical side of the game and the capability to use tactics to get success even at the expense of having a raft of quality players. McGuinness at Donegal being the example. I think for too long this wonderful game has been afraid of this and its great to see a bit of thinking going on. I am not trying to say that there is anything wrong with the way Dublin play, and it is nicer to watch than Donegal, but I wouldn’t be as down on the Donegal way as others.