The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

There is nothing to be made of this game.

Cork picked a dummy team in more ways than one. They have a really silly management strategy and the use of players is bizarre. One would hope they are trying to not show their hand.

But this was a Munster Final in Killarney, we need to try and win thi game.

For Kerry, again I feel they have not progressed enough to trouble the main teams. They are physically stronger, no doubt, but they seriously ran out of steam. Also no team in Croke Park will give them the room they had today.

My list as of now.

1. Donegal
  2. Dublin
  3. Mayo
  4. Kerry
  5. Tyrone
  6. Cork

Talent wise Cork are arguably top 3, but their approach to football is all wrong, both mentally and tactically, so in recent championship performances all the other teams have shown far more than them this year. Goodish 25-30 mins in 2nd half but that’s simply not good enough.

Is there a reason ciaran sheehan didn’t start?

I’m not saying he is as good, but it’s the equivilant of Kerry not playing Cooper, Dublin not playing Brogan or Donegal not playing McFadden. Bizarre is only word for it. And the fact they don’t realize all this shit does negatively have on the teams mental preperation and well being is disappointing.

Absolutely, crazy stuff. An outstanding footballer.

Fine picture of Noel O’Leary hanging out of Paul Galvin with his fingers stuck in galvins mouth on the front page of tomorrow examiner sport.

Fucking hell
http://twitter.com/tonyleen/status/353990630822785025/photo/1

Very low probability of a goal Mac. Better off trying to break ball forward from kick out and hope to get an over lap. Keepers are far too organized these days to be just dropping it in off a dead ball.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 798589, member: 180”]Fucking hell
http://twitter.com/tonyleen/status/353990630822785025/photo/1[/quote]

Amazing Leen gets away with his anti-Cork stance at the Examiner, in Cork. We’re very tolerant I suppose. Why didn’t he use the image if Galvin punching Noelie. No doubt that will be on echo.

Anyway, from a Cork point of view. It’s very hard to rate the players as I think they were either not primed for yesterday or are confused by the system they are trying to develop. Anyway, for what it’s worth.

Ken O H - Did pretty well, narrow angle as well as possibly for 2 goal chances, Coopers was a brilliant finish. Kick well and mostly to advantage. Don’t think he can be blamed for the wipe out at midfield. 7/10
Paudie K - hard to know if he was corner back but he was on Darrrn O Sullivan. Cleaned out in ways, but like all the full back line he was disgracefully exposed by no protection in front and no pressure in the kicks coming in. Hiding to nothing. Looks in best nick in a few years and is look fast again. Actually did as well as anyone could 6.5/10
M Shields - battled hard against incesent pressure. Would live to see him at centre back. Never really skinned 6.5/10
D Cahalane - Started ok, then struggled and then was moved from pillar to post and whipped off. Poor treatment from management. He’ll learn though. 5/10
E Cadogan - worst game in a while. Suffered from the same exposure as all the other backs, but was beaten up a stick by Declan O Sullivan and shoved off the ball more than once against lighter men.
Noelie L - 50-50 battle with Galvin, never tracks him beyond the kick out contest and Galvin seems to know this and picks up seemingly uncontested breaks, but I’d be fairly sure this is to avoid exposure thru the middle.
James Loughery - Pretty impressive debut for Cork. Gooch got the goal and delivered some good ball, but overall he did well and exposed Gooch defensively. 7/10
Canty - Dreadful day. Was at sea alot if the day and didn’t seem to understand his role. Should be under pressure for his place. 3/10
Aidan Walsh - An inspiration once moved to centre forward but his shooting let him down, should have created a goal in first minute and should have another 2-3 points. But he showed great leadership and could have put paid to Killian Youngs centre back career, the whole country knows how to expose Kerry now thru the middle. Could be the man to expose Ger Brennan at some stage down the road. 8/10
Fintan Gould - Did a few good things but overall very poor. He gave up on chasing at least twice, unforgivable. All he seems to have at this level is ability to take odd kick out. That’s not enough. 4/10
Donnacha - Poor game, poor shooting which is not him and was generally frustrated. Played out of position though and has missed alot with Cotk. Expect him to hav a big finish to year yet though when he gets sharp. 5/10
John O Rourke - Good in patches and very young and inexperienced. Will grow into it and will be a fixture. Left Kerry half backs way too much time and space, needs to be more aware. Took good score. 5.5/10
Goulding - Good, looked dangerous like all the full forward line just supply was shit. Worth weight in gold with frees and goal scoring ability. 7.5/10
Brian Hurley - Beside Walsh for best Cork player. Looked dangerous an for his first big game didn’t make too many mistakes or wrong options. Held pretty well at times but overall took Marc O Se to cleaners. Exciting player 8.5/10
Kerrigan - struggled to get into it at times but used his pace well as well and got an important point with fist. I prefer him in half forward line where his straight running causes problems. He is not a corner forward. 7/10

Subs
Corks subs made a massive difference. The thing about it is, it shows Corks beat way is still to power thru teams and mix long ball with running in straight lines. I Connor an I Neill have us massive possession, long ball into the brilliant Sheehan and hard running from Walsh and Kerrigan at times caused endless problems. With Goulding and Hurley picking up scraps Cork could be a real force.

I think Cork have been sucked too much into what Donegal are doing. If you are good at something get very good at it and just try and sort out your weaknesses as you go. Cork may well be training for August and it’s clear they have disgarded League an Munster titles as not relevant. That’s fine if you have a game plan an are working toward it. Yesterday they looked confused an under prepared to the point of embarrassment. Hopefully there is a grand plan there, but personally I think this Cork side should be beating that Kerry team pulling up and should be trying to make it into 1/4’s.

Now it’s a lottery.

But there was 30-45 seconds gone in injury time by the time he kicked it. He must have known that Kerry would take a good minute over the kick out by which time, injury time would be up. I get where you’re coming from but he was pretty much just admitting defeat by taking the point.

good point mate

Caimhaoin, do you think it is time for Conor Counihan to go and get a new management team in there and freshen things up?

yesterdays result didnt really matter mate, they have been flying in training and are waiting in the long grass for the serious stuff later in the summer

The double is on this weekend for Dublin, the first time we will have done it since 1942. Hopefully the footballers dont loose focus now and they take Meath on Sunday.

I believe reading the reports he simply thought there was more time. I can see how it could be viewed as a kick for stats, but I seriously doubt it.

so your initial comment was wrong?

I suspect it was a kick for stats tbh.

No, it’s the middle of the season for one and he pretty much has a new management team. I think it will take time. Cut err is highly rated and he is analytical. I was coached by Ronan McCarthy for a year and was very impressed. He’s not into tactics that much, his MO was to get guys to make better decisions in different areas of the pitch, I liked alot of what he did and we would have been made into an excellent team in 2-3 years were he there. Unfortunately he couldn’t continue. So it’s just taking time.

The players definitely looked confused to me. I think Cork, of all the higher level teams are taking too much notice of Donegal and changing the style year on year. People see the ponderous play, but that’s almost always just falling back into bad habits when things are not going well. Cork need to play to their strengths and just go for it. Obviously you tailor a bit here an there, but you need to really know where your going and only have small deviations from that game to game. You don’t have enough time with amateurs and Games at IC to adjust too much too quickly.

Basically though I was happy he stayed this year cos of the injection of new selectors. I think you h e to give that the year at least.

TV3 are showing the Kilkenny vs Waterford match on saturday evening. Coverage starts are 6.30.

Two footballing superpowers.:cool:

Opps, :slight_smile: it must be the excitement from yesterdays match.:slight_smile: