The official Roman Catholic thread

So we wouldn’t have figured out education, health or sport of it wasn’t for the Catholic Church, and we living on the edge of Europe,

Sounds plausible

1 Like

Did surely- I know I may come across as a conservative RC I’m not at all
But I find it nauseating when I hear constantly negative things about the church

My church in the city is st Mary’s
Popes Quay
The Dominicans are a great bunch of priests/ friars who work within the community and make a huge difference to ppl in trouble
Be it drink/ drugs/ sexual addiction
Any addiction
They make a tangible difference to many many ppl
They are not in any way forgetting about the small amount of creatures who made innocent children and women suffer
Are upfront about everything
Are progressive and inclusive honestly

I’m probably the biggest sinner that attends service and courses there but they opened their arms in genuine welcome

Are not hell and brimstone ppl atall but gentle folk

4 Likes

Maybe I’d we’d no FF/FG we’d have a viable one

Was coaching last night and looked up to the sky to see this

It looks like a sign to back Ballysteen at +4……Charrrggggeeeee……

1 Like

Was at mass this evening and it was an enrolment for kids preparing for Confirmation.

Kids had full involvement in mass doing readings parayers of the faithful and offertory.

But the mass dragged on with priest having to basically talk the parents through the mass.

Part of me wondered why the parents were getting their kids confirmed if they have no interest themselves. The lad beside me never opened his mouth, stood up or knelt down throughout the whole service.

They vowed to help their kids prepare for the sacrament by bringing them to mass. I don’t expect to see (m)any of them next weekend.

I’ve no issue with folk choosing not to go to mass but don’t be hypocrites.

2 Likes

Its a path of least resistance for many parents Id imagine.

1 Like

Said lad beside you will be acting the Billy Bigballs on the day - stretch limo if he doesn’t opt for a helicopter….That shit sickens my hole.

2 Likes

Did you not say something? He needed a serious intervention but something deep within you stopped you from telling him… You facilitated this hypocrisy.

1 Like

He could well be very devout but mute and with bad knees.

1 Like

I’ve learnt as a went along that once to tuck a child’s head over a Catholic Church water font you are in the ‘club’ ‘for better or worse’.
My wife is Catholic but had lapsed before me in that while she drew the line, I did attend mass etc when I moved back home to our home parish out of it being the done thing. I later stopped.
We baptised our 3 children. Again, the done thing go with the flow and keep the peace with grandparents. There is a piséog around here that a baby won’t thrive until it’s baptised.
Being in a rural area, we weren’t under pressure to do it to have them enter the national school, but it was mentioned that it would be highlighted and therefore or childern would be set apart forever more in relation to other sacraments.
So later came holy communion and confirmation. All the boxes ticked for the childern going into their adulthood.
It came to light during Covid with the suspension of these sacraments that if a teenager had not been Confirmed that they would/could be refused to be married in the church if the matter arose.
So maybe people are providing options for their kids, the vows aside, I don’t know.

I am glad more and more people are looking to and doing more in alternative weddings and holding them in venues other than a church.

I am recently pondering my own position on my funeral arrangements and having stopped being an ‘active’ member of RCC, I too feel a little hypocritical thinking my family will be rolling me down the aisle in an oak veneer mdf box to get holy water splashed on it.
I planted a tree in the garden a while back to this end. I think straight to cremation after my passing and scattered around the roots of the tree. Probably make the tree wilt :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

That’s what sickens your hole when you contemplate the Catholic Church in Ireland?

The regular mass goers looking down their noses on the occasional attendee :grinning:

1 Like

You traitor

1 Like

The occasional mass goers should in fairness behave with a little decorum. It’s not a red carpet event they are attending. It is after all a sacrament that should get It’s own respect. BillyBigBalls is attending a ‘club’ (church) event, of which he/she is there on the basis of the family they were born into. Tone it down and respect the active members is all.

1 Like

If I was a regular Mass attendee it’d be the systematic, repeated and institutional rape, molestation and sexual assault of children carried out by and facilitated by the Catholic Church that would sicken me and bother me the most, but whatever you’re having yourself.

3 Likes

Sure he mightn’t be a Catholic at all, we’re making an awful lot of assumptions about Billy Big Balls, for a fella who appears to have been minding his own business

There’s as many hypocrites on their knees every Sunday

Jesus welcomed everybody into his fathers house

Ironically, I generally find a lot of the regular Mass goers I’d know to be very poor Christians. Judgemental, snooty, hypocritical, intolerant and in some cases downright fucking horrible people. Very bad at the whole Christianity thing.

Come to think of it that would make them good Catholics I suppose.

3 Likes

They might think you are evil or the antichrist or something. Cant be careful enough these days.

That scenario happens all the time. You are white with a southern Irish accent and you’re automatically a Catholic.

1 Like

I didn’t outline all of my reasons for not going anymore so thank you for typing some of them for me.
Any faith/religion is a way of life, a creed to live your life by. The ordinary faithful are not responsible for the actions of others. The RCC is not exclusive in crimes against children. But the faithful need a vehicle to their higher being. It’s how they have been indoctrinated. It’s how they ground themselves to help get through life from Sunday to Sunday is all.