The official TFK ask Ambrose about books thread

Thatā€™s a shameā€¦ One of the greatest books if all timeā€¦ Itā€™s called Catch22.

1 Like

@Ambrose_McNulty Iā€™m a fan of comical novels based on reality, can you recommend me a good book on the History of Limerick hurling?

3 Likes

Thereā€™s only one

2 Likes

Have you done laughing at Galway hurling?

1 Like

Iā€™d say it has more pages than sales.

5 Likes

@Ambrose_McNulty, have you read this book by Prof. Xavier Cortez? Is it all its cracked up to be?

@anon98850436
i owe you a reply to a PM a while back, sorry about that, i never ended up playing in that tournament in the finish, i was playing with a pub team in maynooth in the finish and that and the junior c gah kept me going
there are 2 brilliant books i have read:

both of them now are not say a history of the situation but instead are eyewitness accounts of those who were there
the best by all is My War Gone By i miss it so by Anthony Loyd, this is probably one of the best things i have ever read, heā€™s a London based photojournalist with the Times who wound up in central Bosnia in 1993 and saw the Croat- Bosnian Moslem war in all its perverse glory, its a stunning account really, he actually manages to explain the complaxity of the situation with the serbs/croats and moslems so that you understand what is going on without ever really feeling you are entrenched in a history bookā€¦ it is utterly brilliant, read it
He was mad into his gear also, a fucking legend really, actaully id say he is a hero mine

Madness Visible, by Janine di giovanni is also top notch, she also wrote for the times and its just an eyewitness account of the shit that went down, she spent a lot of time in Kosovo also ( that war kicked off in 1999 and was every bit as brutal as the Bosnian war (91-95) )
she finds it really hard to question the sheer insanity of what people are at, the KLA in particular seem to utterly barbaric, followed closely by the Bosnian serb paras such as Arkanā€™s tigersā€¦
its excellent but will shake you a bit, she really tries to do a psychologial analysis of the serbs also, it kind of lost its way a bit there i thought

My war gone by i miss it so is essential really

another 2
Bill Carterā€™s Fools Rush In is also worth a read, he was living in Bosnia also, bit of a war junkie, ended uo working with MSF and got U2 to play in the city, there was a movie made called Miss Sarajevo

The Tenth Circle of Hell by Rezak hakanuvic

• jesus i had nightmares after thisā€¦ its utterly brutal, basically what happened in Prijedor and Omasrska concentration camps in western bosnia as Ratkdo Mladic and co went about their business
5 Likes

One Soldiers war by Arkady Babchenko is phenomenal also
its an account of a lad in the Russian military during the first chechen war that they lost in 1995
the barbarity is insane

fuck it
we were watching USA 94 and 3/4 hours away in Bosnia and Russia kids were cooked in ovens , people were been burnt alive and young lads were killing each other left right and center
in 94 also that massive massacre happened in kigali outside Rwanda ( think of the movie shooting dogs)ā€¦
what a fucked up world

equally insane shit happened in Gaza in 2014 ,
id imagine Syria tops them all tho, the accounts that will come out of that place will be worth reading id say

No one laughs at Galway. They just feel sorry for them.

Ambrose, what book have you just finished?

Is there no one knocking about for a chat tonight?

Mate, if youā€™re going to enjoy a bit of downtime in a nice hotel bar, with a good book, you only go on a monday - Thursday. Only a fucking weirdo would go when thereā€™s a wedding on :rollseyes:

If your not staying in the hotel and you have a book to read in the bar then youā€™re a fucking weirdo full stop.

There is no where more peaceful than a quiet sitting room with a nice drink when the kids are all tucked in and quiet.

Donā€™t get me wrong, sometimes I head for a pint with The Phoenix or whatever under the arm when I think the head might explode but the local is different.

I wouldnā€™t switch me sitting room for the corner of a hotel for ā€˜downtimeā€™ until your cows come home.

Iā€™m here in the Left Bank in Kilkenny and @Ambrose_McNulty is across the way reading a book on his own drinking a pint.

7 Likes

Good old @Ambrose_McNulty

Not me, but that man brims confidence. Heā€™s old school with an actual book.

1 Like

I think I posted about it on here at the time, but the best I ever saw was outside the gingerman in Dublin one evening, one lad reading a book aloud to his three enraptured companions.

5 Likes

@Ambrose_McNulty, I may have to spend an evening in Kilmallock in the next fortnight. Can you recommend somewhere to have a pint and read a book in comfort, or is it a complete shithole?

Iā€™ve often heard that the nicest and safest place in Kilmallock is the halting site. You could chance there.

2 Likes

My next question was if there was any place there to buy a wrought iron gate for the side of the house. Two birds, one stone. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit blurred. Had you a few pints on you?