The Physio has a lot to answer for

Kelly ruled out for a year

01 October 2008

A huge question mark hangs over Tom Kellys inter-county future after he revealed that he is likely to miss Laois entire 2009 campaign through injury.

Kelly, who retired from inter-county football at the start of this year only to return for the championship, is facing up to 12 months on the sidelines after tearing his cruciate ligament while on club duty for St. Josephs recently.

The 2003 All-Star centre back suffered the injury in the first half of St. Josephs drawn SFC quarter-final with ODempseys before being replaced and then re-introduced at half-time as he felt it wasnt as bad as it subsequently turned out to be.

He explained: "I had thought I just twisted it. I injured my knee before and at the time I didnt think it was too bad, so I played on. Unfortunately, that wasnt the case, but Ill just have to focus on the operation and recovery now.

Kelly has already began to prepare himself for the operation which will be performed by Dr Ray Moran, brother of former Dublin footballer and Irish soccer international Kevin.

“Ive started cycling now, trying to build up the muscle before the operation because some it will waste away after it,” he added.

It was initially hoped that Kelly would be back for next years championship, but he has all but ruled himself out of the entire 2009 campaign.

The injury comes as a blow not just to his club and county, but also to Ireland manager Sean Boylan who was expected to include him in his squad for the forthcoming International Rules series.

“I had been training for the last few weeks, but had to ring Sean Boylan and tell him I wouldnt be available. As it stands, it will be late next year before Ill be getting back to playing.”

Coudlnt agree. Kelly himself played through it, was at the game, was plain to everyone there that he wasn’t right, but shur we’ve all done stupid things in our days.