The Pretend Fitness Thread

What’s everyone planning being stuck indoors?

Scrabble. Monopoly. Texas hold ‘em.

I find running good for my mental health. I get a kick or a high from the endorphins you get after running. Don’t particularly like the running part per say but a means to an end.

2 Likes

Sean Hogan’s team has given us permission to go outside, even though the status red remains in place until 6pm. Just waiting on the all clear from @TreatyStones.

1 Like

If Sean Hogan said it’s ok then that’s fine by me.

he’s on dodgy legal ground there, that is a clear contravention of a Government instruction

Be a grand day for a bit of trail running.

Fantastic to get out for a SSR at 5:58 min/km pace in heavy rain. Underfoot conditions remain a little tricky so it was more a case of tentatively getting back into it and allowing some air into the lungs. My path crossed with a handful of other elite athletes and we exchanged knowing nods to acknowledge our determination. It’s great to be back.

3 Likes

tremendous running

cc @Mac

1 Like

That’s good walking

2 Likes

Last two 5ks have been 23.57 and a p.b. of 23.43 this afternoon, having only ever posted 25+ min times before.

I am on top of the world. Looks like doing lots of running makes you better at running.

6 Likes

I’ve entered the 5k club over the past few mornings, never timed myself before and haven’t done anything in nearly six months since fucking up my back on the astro, 27.20 Just now for the 5k, what’s a decent time for a lad in his early 40s? i ran the first 2k today in a shade over 10 minutes but was barely moving at the end. Honestly I’d be hoping to go a few minutes under the hour for the 10k in a couple of months.

Sounds about right. Keep going and you’ll get it down to 25 mins. You’d be going grand for the first couple of K but then flaahed for the last few. Depends if it’s on the flat or not.

I did nearly 10 (ten) km the other day and was doing 6min kms for a while. Slow but that’s where I’m at right now.

Best of luck with it

1 Like

Sub 44 is decent but its all relative to amount of training etc. Tbh, I think lads get too fixtated on times. Just get out for an easy run as regular as you can.

6 Likes

Go do one of the Limerick park runs

Now? I can hardly make it down the stairs.

1 Like

@backinatracksuit

I agree with this.

But even if you added 1 session of longish intervals. Run a faster 1k. Walk 500. Repeat that 4 times. That will in time improve your pacing quicker than just running hard and fading for 2. Then 2.5, then 3…

Your pace there is about 3.0 m/s make that about 3.75 (125%) so let’s say approx 4 m 30s for 1 km. That’s over 22 minute 5km pace.

Run that for 1km . Walk 500
This will enable recovery.

Benefit is.

Getting used to a faster pace
Less liklihood of break down of mechanics/form in fatigue.
Also builds your aerobic system with a lean towards aerobic power

1 Like

Go to a soccer pitch. Run diagonals hard and use perimeter for recovery. Do that for 12 minutes in total. Sounds easy but is tough.

Sorry mate, missed this somehow. I honestly don’t think there’s a hope I’d stick with it if I didn’t have something to push me/aim for, so far all I can see for this is to improve time and/or distance, there’s no fun in it. I’d be quite competitive so if I do it I’d want to see improvement.
Thanks for the advice @caoimhaoin, honestly I just set off on a comfortable jog which at the moment seems to be about 5min per km, I could go a lot faster but I’d worry about injury as I feel quite fragile at the moment. I might give your way a go

1 Like