The Pretend Fitness Thread

Probably late to the party on this but…

In praise of foam rollers:

My hip has been gradually turning to granite the past few weeks. I’m probably overdoing things a little between hurling and triathlon training. Think it’s down to an escalation of an ITB band issue that has given me problems in the past.

Never really used a foam roller before but been using it on the area briefly the last couple of days and it’s like a fucking miracle cure. Hip feels far better already.

2 Likes

Look at dr.jacob.harden on instagram

1 Like

It band doesn’t exist. It’s made up by fitness companies

Preaching to the choir mate. This is the pretend fitness thread where we talk about pretend issues with pretend parts of our body.

1 Like

It’s an unreal bit of pretend equipment… Gets right into glutes, groin, outer quads and calves.

Few more roll and I’m nearly back to 100% already. Delighted with the quick progress. Was genuinely concerned that I was looking at a serious injury. I feel like I’ve cheated somehow.

What’s the general TFK consensus on protein shakes? Reading that a lot of them are bad for your liver but then other articles swear by them. Can they be used as a replacement meal for say breakfast or lunch?

@caoimhaoin @anon61956325 @Bod95

Bad for your liver… why?

I wouldnt use them as a replacement meal at all…that’s the wrong mindset completely…

It all depends on training goals etc, but i’d use them (I dont any more) immediately after a workout for recovery reasons only.

I use them just before training at end of a fast

I’ve read they can be tough on your liver and kidneys, maybe only in large amounts though.

What’s the goal bro?

Is that more the crack cocaine pre-workout stuff?

I’ve been laid up for the guts of 4 months without being able to train, bro. Put on about a stone. Hoping to make my return to the gym next week. Just trying to put a plan together. Weights are out of the question so trying to put together a plan I’ll stick to to knock that stone off fairly quickly. TRX, cardio and HIIT sessions are part of the exercise plan, just exploring dietary options now.

2 Lads in my gym had to have liver transplants over taking too many protein shakes

12 Likes

Did they swap?

I wasnt doing too much myself lately, bro… except eating shite… happens most of us and then you snap out of it.

I wouldnt be skipping meals and looking for a quick fix — just make the right choices and moderate exercise. The key is to just start and make small changes and eventually you’ll be back in the groove — it has to be a mindset, bro — not a quick fix.

Ah yeah I get you, bro and would be pretty good most of the time when I’m training. My diet is very good usually but my portion control has evaporated since I’ve been laid up. Started using shakes a few years ago but stopped pretty quickly as I was told bad for liver and kidneys and @Tassotti has just confirmed it really so I think I’ll give it a miss. Thanks for your advice as always, sensei.

They are fine for your liver — unless they are cheap and full of shite and you are over doing it ---- One a day with some fruit as an afternoon snack - no problem.

1 Like

great bit of kit

your liver simply cannot break down that concentration of protein in one go, they are savage bad for you, I always laugh at these beefcakes in the gym going around slugging on protein shakes, they will be in a wheelchair in 10 years

2 Likes