The Pretend Fitness Thread

Thought room on fire was good but not amazing. You’re right though, Is this it is a brilliant album and they’ve regressed massively since.

I think you mean you went into town.

28 mins this week! - What a lovely fresh day out there… A great day to be alive and well.

3 Likes

My calf popped again. :rage:

I’m restricted to bicycle work in the gym again now. :crying_cat_face:

What have you been doing to address the issue? It could be a knee or heel issue that’s the real problem

Get a roller for your feet. Start rolling the fuck out of soles of your feet. It is quite mentally thereapeutic as well.

Every night twist your big toes 50 times clockwise and anti clockwise.

4 Likes

Solid advice

2 Likes

I wore calf guards for the first time ever this morning mate. They may be the answer for you for long runs

1 Like

I did it months ago and followed an 8-week physio led rehab plan with weekly massage too. I think a lapsed poster here has absolutely no time for physios. Anyway, I strained it on my third or fourth run after getting the all clear. Then I was busy for around 10 weeks and didn’t do anything for it and just started running again on the off chance it’d repaired itself. But it popped again on my third run back the other night. It could just be age, biomechanics, gait.

It hurts me to hear of a fellow 5ker suffering like that. Get a physio session in and maybe a bit f needling and message … Have you though of getting a decent pair of insoles? - I got a pair a couple of years ago and it completely changed my life.

I had a deep tissue massage which worked wonders for a minor calf strain I had recently, the pain was horrendous, I’m not sure @Bandage could take it.

What’s your route, I did Rochestown Park, down the line toskehard road and back the well road and Douglas last week on a minor hangover, couldn’t believe it was only 8.2 k, as a kid the walk down the line to Roco seemed very long, that run from Rochestown to the castle seems like a nice jaunt

1 Like

Out of mountoval- through Garryduff woods back onto Monastery road up by Cinnamon cottage and back onto Rochestown road and back up Clarke’s hill to Mountoval… think it’s 4.9k

1 Like

Make an appointment to see paddy leahy in lasercentre on hume st. Expensive but will sort you in 10 minutes. Physios a waste of time. You have a huge amount of scar tissue that needs to be broken up.

6 Likes

How the mighty have fallen. This time 3 years ago I was a 24:25-24:50 5km man. I’d be running along and the MyFitnessPal app lady voice would announce “you have run 3 kilometers, your time is 14 minutes 7 seconds, your split time is 4 minutes 42 seconds” and then I’d power home for the last 2km and punch the air when I broke that 25 minute target yet again.

4 Likes

How much and what does he do? Laser the calf?

Like most people you have weak glutes and hamstrings. Your calves are trying to take up that slack. Google some exercises or head to a gym and work on glutes and hamstrings - physio should have told you that

Does ultrasound to spot scar tissue. Then zaps it to break it up. Cost about 160e. All top gaa, rugby,soccer go to him. Can take 2 months for appointment.

1 Like

Good advise but needs to get rid of scar tissue 1st.

1 Like

Yeah, the exercise programme was the standard stretches, lunges and squats with some weight, heel raises, front and side planks etc. They give out fairly generic programmes and tell you to do a bit of cycling and swimming too to take the pressure off the calf.

Thanks pal. I might book now for early January appointment as I’m getting fleeced by painters and decorators at the moment. That reminds me.