The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

CJ Stander must have very little going on in his life.

1 Like

Neil would have been tweeting how we matured as a nation a few years back.

What’s IRFU input into Munster signing Stander? Do they clear it or can Munster act alone? He ends up on a central contract with IRFU while initially just being on Munster one?

I’d say that’s right. The wife and kid are back in South Africa.

2 Likes

He was signed initially by munster with the go ahead from the IRFU as a project player with the view to utilising the 3 year rule. He was marked as international standard and captained the SA under 20s to the world Cup. Once he was capped he was given a central contract by the IRFU

1 Like

Initially signing him or the renewal here?

What behind the bushes said

Yeah I just wanted to know how much influence IRFU have at start of process when he signs for Munster …so he’s basically identified as potential project player by IRFU ,goes to Munster ,if he shines then he gets central contract from IRFU after a few years when he’s available to Ireland ?
If the player is older and signed to fill a position at Munster then IRFU have no real say or interest ?

IRFU bankroll the provinces so even a provincial signing with no qualification to represent Ireland won’t be approved without their say so. Connacht had to fight to sign Kyle Godwin a few years back because he had a single Wallabies cap.

1 Like

Yes…within budgetary reason

1 Like

There is a set number of non Irish qualified players per squad and irfu prevent multiple NIQ players across the provisional teams in the same position.

Amateur teams playing at senior level are only allowed to liat 1 NIQ player in their squad. On top of non payment of players

2 Likes

I think it’s absolutely mad that the new LA major league rugby team play in the Olympics stadium. Considering its such a minor sport over there.

5 Irish players on Gerry Thornleys team of the tournament

Henshaw
Sexton
Furlong
Henderson
Beirne

Henshaw will start at 10 for the Lions.

Perhaps only stadium with proper grass/sized pitch that can take any bit of a crowd? Soccer clubs arent going to let them on their pitches.

It is a communal stadium and is idle most of the year aside from half a dozen USC football games every autumn

Must be lining himself up to pen Johnny’s post-career biography

1 Like

Amazing recency bias. A few weeks ago Sexton was finished and should step aside for Harry Byrne while Tadgh Beirne didn’t have the bulk for top level rugby. Now both are pencilled in as starting Lions.

Premature for Scruff Thornley to be selecting a team of the tournament. The tournament is not over yet. France v Scotland still to come on Friday night. Amateur hour. Wouldn’t have happened on Edmund Van Esbeck’s watch.

5 Likes

Fair point I’ve no idea about sports fields in LA. But its a long way from training in Derryknockane for Harry Mcnulty

Think Nonu is playing with them and all. The brother was looking to go.outbthere after leaving academy