The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

He was the lad who was capped very young, got a bad injury and ended up coaching the Ladies up to recently right? Jesus he’d be around my own age, and fit as fuck if thats the case?

Yeah would have played for Munster first around 97, Ireland in 99 and was scrum half for World cup that year and game against England at start of following 6 nations. Ireland were hammered and that was Toms last cap, Stringer was brought in.
Tom did shoulder in 2000/01 and never got back to same level, played for Leicester and Connacht afterwards.

Very sad may he RIP. Check the tickers lads. It could happen to anyone.

He was a brilliant scrum half was unlucky 5hat Stringer came along when he did

1 Like

Leon McDonald of All Blacks fame said to be the man to take over from Stuart Lancaster at Leinster. I thought the appointment might have been from within.

Brian O’Brien died also. May he Rest in Peace.

4 Likes

Was a first cousin of my mother, a gentleman, 1st Shannon man to play for Ireland.

4 Likes

Didnt realise Tom Tierney was living in Monard over the road from me. Where was he from originally?

Some crowd at the funeral in Solohead when i passed through earlier.

1 Like

From Limerick city AFAIK. Think he was originally associated with Richmond

1 Like

Might be married to a local. The local GAA Club were doing the traffic management.

As Colm O’Rourke once said, if you’re involved in a GAA Club, there’ll always be 4 men to lower you down.

3 Likes

Maybe. He coached Clanwilliam in Tipp Town for a good few years

1 Like

Will be at his removal this evening

1 Like

Tom was from the fairgreen in Limerick City, just off Ballysimon Road. His wife from Patrickswell, they lived in Monard the last 14/15 years.

I heard over the weekend that his father in law passed away Saturday as well :pensive:

Yeah his wife’s father passed away over the weekend. May he Rest in Peace.
So tough on her and all the family. Jesus Christ so tough on them, a husband and father in just over a week.
The things some of us complain about some times, it would make you wonder.

6 Likes

What did Tom die of do you know?

Heart attack I heard on newstalk

1 Like

Not that it’s good that this was the cause of death, very sad that he passed away so young, but with the non-reporting around how he died, you feared it was under tragic circumstances. RIP

1 Like

Heart attack yes

2 Likes

Interesting background here

A bare reading of the facts would have him filed under another St Michael’s private schoolboy…

1 Like