The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

Ireland Ireland Ireland :ireland:

6 Likes

We are are going to win the World Cup

We won’t win the World Cup because we have to play South Africa, Scotland and France or New Zealand before even a hypothetical semi-final.

If Ireland do win a quarter-final they’d most likely lose the semi-final.

Watch Fast Eddie and the Cadbury Wallabies.

Will you be magnanimous when our for a few scoops on the mainland tonight or will you give it big licks.

Andy Farrell has done some job with them.

1 Like

New Zealand, Scotland and the boks aren’t at much

He should be given the freedom of Ireland

1 Like

:trophy::heart::ireland:

1 Like

Paul McShane handing out the medals.

Paddy Footix seething over the success of the Ireland rugby team on the international stage.

Will you be selecting a Lions XXIII after the end of the six nations?

1 Like

Me too. Thought he was outstanding

1 Like

Scotland will be tough opponents. We should beat them but they’ll test us.

South Africa will be dog tough, if one team are going to be attritional and take it out of you, it’s them.

To presume New Zealand will be anything other than be anything other than extremely difficult to beat would be very silly. They’ve put some certainty in place regarding what will happen with the coach and his successor, which seems a sensible move to me. Historically New Zealand tend to fit in their bad years in the years before World Cups and then come back stronger in World Cup years.

It should be noted that France v New Zealand is the first game of the tournament and both teams should sail through the rest of the group fairly easily which will set both up nicely for the quarter-finals.

If Ireland go the plan A route and beat South Africa, Scotland and New Zealand, Eddie Jones’s Wallabies will most likely be waiting in the semi-final having had a comparatively easy route through. If all things were equal, I’d back Ireland to beat Australia, but all things won’t be equal in such a scenario. Ireland might well be going into a quarter-final or semi-final with Ross Byrne at out half.

Right now I’d be backing Australia to reach the final if they get Ireland or indeed South Africa in a semi-final. If they get New Zealand I’d probably back New Zealand.

France will win it.

3 Likes

Roll on italy, japan, Mexico or whatever other car crash awaits

Limerick docks will be closed for the next week.
France for the world cup.

1 Like

Must be all those concussions coming to a head

Scotland are useless. I dunno why you are even mentioning them. 2 of their players would make our team.

I’d rank South Africa v Ireland 50/50, maybe 51/49 in South Africa’s favour.

Ireland historically haven’t rebounded particularly well from a group defeat at the World Cup.

Ireland v Scotland is the final game in the group on October 7th so that means there’s at least a 50/50 chance qualification for second place will be on the line. Even if Ireland beat South Africa it’s conceivable qualification could still be on the line against Scotland. Either way you’d expect the Scots to fling everything they have at that game.

If Ireland win the group they’ll be out again just seven days later on October 14th, most likely against a New Zealand team who will have sailed through the last four matches of their group.

Ireland have a very good team but the toughness of the route they have at the World Cup shouldn’t be underestimated. It’s a hellish route and traditionally the sort of route that undoes teams.

I wouldn’t rate South Africa’ at all. The only danger is France.

France France France