The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

Was the bus Tadgh Furlong?

Super insights from ex-Dub Jonny Cooper on LinkedIn about the culture within the Irish rubby set up. Jonny was in camp with them last week as part of his own coaching & leadership journey.

Another reason to celebrate if they managed to beat England with him in their ear all week.

The G Thornley loves saying “Top Quatorze”.

1 Like

Could be Jack Crowley as back-up 10 by World Cup if he goes on a run between now and September.

Ross Byrne has the back up 10 role sewn up now.

2 Likes

Only injuries can derail Ireland at this stage

A freak sending off would do it also - but Ireland are the least likely team to lose the run of themselves.

1 Like

I meant between now and the start of the tournament, but freak sending offs are possible for anyone we saw at the weekend.

Ireland needs to now plan how to celebrate the World Cup

3 Likes

A nice little boost to the coffers. I assume the grand slam will trigger some sponsor bonuses as well :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

If we didn’t have the stadium long paid off we could put a good dent in the debt with this money. Giving the players 2m quid is a good start though

1 Like

SFIRA will confiscate most of that for free gaffs when they get in. The IRFU should spend it now.

I’d be in favour of spending it ASAP as well… Split it evenly between every junior rugby club in cork or something

Would that all be tax free under the deal for pro sportsmen?

I wouldn’t be a tax expert but I think only salary is covered.

Edit. A quick Google suggests it probably is covered

It would qualify on the basis that it directly relates to playing rugby.

Obviously they’d only be able to claim it on retirement.

1 Like

Could very well have been me and big Phil… After giving Tipps bags of it in 2012-14 that was a very disappointing performance.

Razor to coach All Blacks in 2024. Not surprised.

The IRFU will have access to the best professional advice to structure the payment in a tax efficient manner.

1 Like

Fuck it!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2023/0327/1366607-sexton-likely-to-miss-rest-of-leinsters-season/