The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

Carlow and Pickys year so.

And bank officials and sales reps.

1 Like

Fairplay to TG4 for showing the final.

I managed to nip down for about the last 40 minutes of the Mary-LIT game (not the first game, which clearly seems to have been the better one by far) and Cregan was standing a few yards away from me.

It was interesting to listen to him during a game, which was very easy as everybody else was almost completely silent - thatā€™s always noticeable at Fitzgibbon or Sigerson Cup games. He was terribly narky while it was going on despite Mary always being in control after half-time.

He did a strange little impression of Irish dancing to the people he was talking to at half-time, jumping up and down on the spot on the bank and shouting ā€œitā€™s like Irish dancing, aon, do, tri, aon, do triā€. I think he was trying to demonstrate some point about movement of players.

Dont forget the artists over in Waterford.

Would it kill you to do a days work Sid?

Thatā€™s true enough, any time Iā€™ve heard him speak on OTB Iā€™ve been mightily impressed. After Davy yesterday and DJ today heā€™s in some company for a 24 year old coach, good on him.

Heā€™s an odd enough fella so not totally surprising behaviour

Sid

Cregan is a grumpy aul man . In fact he was a grumpy young man. He doesnā€™t suffer fools gladly . It was said once that he couldnā€™t fathom how not everyone could be as good as he was . He is a little gruff but is not the worst by a long shot .

My father said he was the best Limerick hurler he ever saw . Most of his age group concur .

1 Like

He was mid 30s before I ever saw him and Iā€™d say he was the best Limerick hurler I ever saw, a real artist, beautiful to watch.

I remember thinking as a teen ā€œJesus, that was strangeā€ when Loughnane took the opportunity at Clareā€™s victory banquet on The Sunday Game in 1995 to tear into Cregan who was a studio pundit. Cregan was seething.

1 Like
1 Like

Loughnaneā€™s rant was an act of epic cuntishess and he should retrospectively be given the 1997 COTY award .

Ya he is learnign quickly going by his interviews. My auld lad did the same, went coaching after his accident. An awful loss to coaching, he really had the eye for it.

1 Like

And its not even that handy a life anymore (if it ever was), at least from Sep-June anyway.

He had lovely wrists

Gizzy Lyng is like an auld fella there on TG4. Is he going for the Bull McCabe look!

1 Like

Strange man really, not in a bad way, he seems like a nice if very intense bloke but away with the fairies.

8/15 Mary I. Sure who have Carlow to speak of? Stephen Maher the full forward?

Mary I have Richie English, Ronan Maher, Colm Galvin, Darragh Oā€™Donovan, Gillane and Cian Lynch.

Laois backboning the Carlow team.

Starting XV: - 4 Laois, 3 Waterford, 2 Carlow, Kilkenny & Tipperary, 1 Kerry & Meath