The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

Nasty incident at the end of the Intermediate Colleges final yesterday, one of the Jordanstown boys stopped in Dundalk mid-getaway

BBC are providing a live stream of the MacRory Cup final on their Facebook page. Splendid service as befits the most prestigious game in all of schools’ GAA.

St. Mary’s Magherafelt lead St. Colman’s Newry 0-8 to 0-6 at half-time at Ireland’s premier boutique GAA stadium, the Armagh Athletic Grounds.

1 Like

That was an absolutely enthralling MacRory Cup final. St. Mary’s Magherafelt claimed their first ever title with a well deserved 0-19 to 0-13 victory over St. Colman’s Newry.

The standard of football really was excellent from both teams - it was a wonderful, sporting, free-flowing match full of incident and great score taking.

St. Mary’s always led but St. Colman’s made them work very hard for the victory with the gap being just two points with a few minutes left. Mary’s always responded well when Colman’s got close and the standard of leadership in the team is exceptional - captain Declan Cassidy played a starring role from defence and did his part in attack too.

Up front, Kevin Small was outstanding at full forward. Won all his own ball, ran at the Colman’s defence all day long and has two great feet. Some of his scores were breathtaking in their audacity. Two definite future senior stars for Derry in the making there.

Wonderful scenes at the end with some of the Mary’s players almost stampeded by their own supporters and then all getting a big hug from their very attractive principal Deirdre Gillespie on the steps of the stand before they received the famous old trophy.

Lovely to see “the voice of Ulster football”, the great Jimmy Smyth, on MCing duties at the Athletic Grounds too.

All in all a really tremendous advertisement for the great competition.

St. Mary’s will be very hard beaten in the All-Ireland on that showing.

Any St Peter’s College, Wexford, past pupils taking the example of rugby football school past pupils and heading to the All Ireland semi-final against St Mary’s Magherafelt in Drogheda tomorrow afternoon?

Are you a past pupil of there? A lot of Bishops, including Des, seem to have gone there. Seems to have a strong Roman Catholic pedigree.

I am indeed. There was a seminary there too so there’s an absolute fantastic Roman Catholic ethos, pedigree and tradition in St Peter’s.

Guys, the game has been moved from Drogheda to Inniskeen. I’m going to finish up in Dublin earlier as this adds at least another half hour onto the journey. See you all on the stoney, grey soil in a few hours.

1 Like

Great, Fitzgibbon Cup type atmosphere here in Inniskeen:

6 Likes

Jerome Quinn getting very tetchy about people getting in the way of his camera here.

Do you drive now mate ?

Does a regular bus go to Iniskeen?

No, but the bicycles go by in twos and threes.

9 Likes

1-8 to 0-5 to the Leinster kingpins at half time. Played with a huge gale in OUR favour so goal right on half time was very important.

1 Like

We are going to do it.

If I had known that Leaving Cert poetry could potentially get me likes on TFK, I would have paid a lot more attention.

I knew that miserable bastard Kavanagh would come up trumps for me eventually

1 Like

Slightly less certain.

2 points up in injury time. When has that happened before in a colleges’ game @Gman?

1 Like

:sweat: