The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

Thurles have 2 Hartys in the last decade. Should have won more but still decent.

1 Like

Ah yeah, Iā€™m only taking the piss.

The poster who logged in as @downyourthroats must have forgotten his login

1 Like

Heā€™s doing time

Iā€™d love to hear @downyourthroats opinion on the split season.

Iā€™d say the end of the Fitzgibbon Cup weekend was a hammer blow.

There was a certain panache to his posting alright.

@Turenne

1 Like

Box office.

1 Like

The mighty UL Wolves scored another easy win today.

1 Like

In fairness, they have a ridiculously strong team even without English, Lohan, Quinlan, Fitzgerald.

An unreal side, looks like theyā€™ll dominate in the next few years.

Its hardly that great in fairness. None of them have ever really done anything at Senior I/C. Less than 10 Senior I/C Championship starts between them Iā€™d say. Dean Mason has had by far and away the most illustrious career out of all of them.

Whats wrong with English?

Carrying an injury a good while, I believe.

UL at 8/13 are an outrageous price IMO. A lot of quality names but very few, if any, properly established players at Senior Intercounty level apart from CON, Kiely and Rodgers.

Iā€™m not sure what they have is that much better than UCC or UG at all, albeit UCC were poor last night down in de dyke.

Its ridiculous stuff.

Iā€™ve never even heard of a load of them and even the three you have mentioned havenā€™t proved anything at Senior I/C.

Its a million miles off the 2018 UL team and pretty all previous Fitzgibbon winning teams I can remember from about 2006 onwards.

2 Likes

The UL 2018 team was outrageous.

UL: David McCarthy (Limerick); Aidan McGuane (Clare), Conor Cleary (Clare), SeĆ”n Finn (Limerick); Barry Heffernan (Tipperary), GearĆ³id Hegarty (Limerick, 0-01), David Fitzgerald (Clare, 0-02); Tony Kelly (Clare, 0-01), Ronan Lynch (Limerick, 0-02); Ian Galvin (Clare, 0-01), Kevin Oā€™Brien (Limerick, 0-02), Tom Morrissey (Limerick); John McGrath (Tipperary, 0-02), Jason Forde (Tipperary, 1-10, 0-07f, 0-01 65), Barry Murphy (Limerick).

Subs: Michael Casey (Limerick) for McGuane (36), Pat Ryan (Limerick, 1-00) for Oā€™Brien (47), David Gleeson (Tipperary) for Murphy (57), Brian Troy (Kilkenny) for Finn (59), Jordan Henley (Waterford) for Fitzgerald (60)

3 Likes

9 Limerick players featured, weā€™re a far cry from that now!

1 Like

Iā€™d say the Mary I teams that won in 2016 and 17 werenā€™t far off that team either and even the UL team in 15 was very good.

UL had teams around 2012/13 with Padraic Maher and Michael Fennelly that werenā€™t even close to winning it. UCD had Noel McGrath, Cillian Buckley, Matt Oā€™Hanlon and a few more Kilkenny lads around that era too.

Iā€™d say UCD havenā€™t had a hurler of note for a few years now.

1 Like

8/13 probably is a little short but they have a ridiculous amount of quality at the top end of the pitch. Now, that is including English, who is currently out but, if they get him back, and are well set-up, I donā€™t see them beaten.

UCC have a lot of talent too but I donā€™t think they have quite as many free-scoring forwards.