The Smithwick Tribunal

Pretty damning for the Gardai. Wouldn’t be convinced that this is isolated incident either. Thought Arlene Foster spoke very well on RTE news there.

Great to hear that the Irish state defended her people. Both the colonial police force in the north and the British state had been murdering Irish people for years.

I have often wondered about this. Was there ever any linkage between the IRA and the Irish Government through the Troubles?

Of course it wasn’t an isolated incident.
The members of the Gardai and the IRA were in cahoots for years. (or at least turned a blind eye to their activities). It wasn’t until the Gerry McCabe incident that rank and file Gardai started to harden towards the ra.

Campbell is delighted here… Unionism vindicated.

CHARLES HAUGHEY, FIANNA FAIL BACKBENCHER, HAS BEEN MAKING A
SPEAKING TOUR THAT IS CLEARLY A BID FOR A FRONT BENCH SEAT.
ING 1970 ARMS-TRIAL CRISIS. (HE WAS INVOLVED IN MI
PREVIOUSLY A MINISTER, HAUGHEY FELL FROM POWER AND GRACE DU
RSAPPROP- RIATION OF PUBLIC FUNDS FOR NORTHERN CATHOLIC EXTREMISTS.) SINCE
ALWAYS BEEN FASCINATED BY HIM, HOWEVER, SINCE HE IS ONE OF PAR
THEN, HE HAS KEPT QUIET AND WORKED HARD ON BACK BENCHES. NEWS- PAPERS HAVE
TY’S FEW TALENTED DEPUTIES. CURRENT FIANNA FAIL FRONT BENCH IS SO WEAK THAT JOURNALISTS LOVE TO SPECULATE ON
EVENTUALLY, HAUGHEY WOULD CERTAINLY LIKE TO BE PARTY LEADE
“WHEN CHARLEY WILL RETURN.” HIS REPUTATION FOR SHADY REAL- ESTATE DEALS DOES NOT SEEM TO DISCOURAGE HIS FANS

https://www.wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1974DUBLIN01609_b.html

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 869256, member: 1786”]Of course it wasn’t an isolated incident.
The members of the Gardai and the IRA were in cahoots for years. (or at least turned a blind eye to their activities). It wasn’t until the Gerry McCabe incident that rank and file Gardai started to harden towards the ra.[/quote]
While McCabe killing was clearly wrong I disliked the way it was often portrayed as being so much worse than so many other incidents. Bruton did the peace process harm by going on about it at every opportunity. At best extremely naive on his part

Locally there were a few operations by the special branch against the RA back in the day, and the local guards were always kept in the dark prior to them because of the likelihood they would tip off the local RA lads.

It was worse than most other incidents.

On balance I suppose the surprising thing is that there wasnt more collusion given way nationalists were treated.

i agree. that said there were tens if not hundreds of other incidents which were also horrific and equally as appalling. Elevation of one incident above others because it took place in Limerick and not Limavady or because innocent victim was a Garda wasnt helpful to the Peace Process then and isn’t helpful now in healing and conflict resolution.

Peter Smithwick is a native of these parts,reads at mass most Sundays.

Maybe he would like to answer questions about why the celebrated member of his party, the ‘Reverend’ Willie McCrea stood on a platform with convicted sectarian murdering bastard Billy Wright calling him a hero.

Would you say it is worse than Wright’s crew breaking into a house which was resided by ‘suspected Catholics’ with the aim of murdering the man of the house for no other reason that his religion. When the couple denied they were Catholics the gang woke up their son who had learning difficulties and asked him where he went to Mass. He told them the local Catholic Church and the man was murdered.

And the DUP have supported this. Cunts one and all.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 869295, member: 24”]Would you say it is worse than Wright’s crew breaking into a house which was resided by ‘suspected Catholics’ with the aim of murdering the man of the house for no other reason that his religion. When the couple denied they were Catholics the gang woke up their son who had learning difficulties and asked him where he went to Mass. He told them the local Catholic Church and the man was murdered.

And the DUP have supported this. Cunts one and all.[/quote]
That post is a bit nuts and completely out of context.

No it’s not. People rave on about Sinn Fein and their link to the IRA with all the heinous crimes they did. When the other ‘holier than thou’ party have links to even more heinous crimes.

I don’t disagree but it’s not relevant to my post.

The pigs always sided with the brits

their behavior in the Dublin Monaghan bombings confirmed this

FG & FF hate republicanism as it threatens the status quo

no it wasnt, it wasnt bad at all

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 869256, member: 1786”]Of course it wasn’t an isolated incident.
The members of the Gardai and the IRA were in cahoots for years. (or at least turned a blind eye to their activities). It wasn’t until the Gerry McCabe incident that rank and file Gardai started to harden towards the ra.[/quote]

Judge Smithwick said there was “no smoking gun” and it was not surprising that the tribunal had not uncovered direct evidence of collusion.

Described as a war by Gerry Adams. Shared ideology and local connections means individual Gardai passed on information but I don’t believe there was systemic collusion