The Smithwick Tribunal

That sounds about right.

I’d say of we were to measure in terms of deaths the Gardaí have a lot more questions to answer about deaths attributted to Loyalists than Republicans. These questions won’t be asked however.

Not sure I know what you mean by that. Elaborate.

well they colluded with the loyalists for the Dublin Monaghan bombings for a start

The guards did? Hadn’t heard that before - was there something about british intelligence being involved?

My father was in the centre of Dublin that day - I remember him telling me about the bombs going off and no-one knew what was going on.

[quote=“tallback, post: 869392, member: 1158”]The guards did? Hadn’t heard that before - was there something about british intelligence being involved?

My father was in the centre of Dublin that day - I remember him telling me about the bombs going off and no-one knew what was going on.[/quote]

well now you have heard it

Family members of the 33 victims of Dublin/Monaghan were routinely intimidated by members of the Gardai for asking questions

You’ve mentioned this numerous times, pal. Do you have evidence?

For what end would Gardai have colluded in the Dub/Mon bombings?

I’m sure it was an anti Shamrock Rovers plot that the GAA and Shelbourne instigated.

They weren’t involved in the actual bombing but they were complicit to their back teeth in the cover up that ensued.

Logically is that not because Gardai dropped the ball or it was perceived they had dropped the ball as opposed to colluding with loyalists.

What benefit was there to Gardai in colluding with a bombing in ROI by loyalists?

After the bombings they didnt investigate it, basically gave the perpetrators a free pass for doing it
it was the biggest atrocity in the state, the investigation lasted a few months and was closed
leads wernt followed up
The files in relation to the bombings were destroyed
families and mourners looking for justice have been beaten up and harassed by the Gardai

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 869409, member: 2272”]Logically is that not because Gardai dropped the ball or it was perceived they had dropped the ball as opposed to colluding with loyalists.

What benefit was there to Gardai in colluding with a bombing in ROI by loyalists?[/quote]

I think the common perception is that MI5 had operators throughout the special branch

[quote=“The Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 869410, member: 80”]After the bombings they didnt investigate it, basically gave the perpetrators a free pass for doing it
it was the biggest atrocity in the state, the investigation lasted a few months and was closed
leads wernt followed up
The files in relation to the bombings were destroyed
families and mourners looking for justice have been beaten up and harassed by the Gardai[/quote]

Have you any evidence or at least a link to an article on this ?

yes, the barron report

I would accept that as believeable. In a lot of these conflicts people see a few quid to be made and become informants/operatives.

Nobody is sugesting Gardai knew in advance of the bombing or had any hand in it. They came under political pressure to drop the investigation however and went after the victims families instead. Enda Kenny incidentally was a member of the government that enforced this request, perhaps when he mentions Mrs McConville in the Dail again he should be reminded of his own dark past.

Traitors to Ireland but not to Eire is the best way of describing their action.

Took you long enough- Tho was there anything concrete in it?

[quote=“Special Olympiakos, post: 869421, member: 366”]Nobody is sugesting Gardai knew in advance of the bombing or had any hand in it. They came under political pressure to drop the investigation however and went after the victims families instead. Enda Kenny incidentally was a member of the government that enforced this request, perhaps when he mentions Mrs McConville in the Dail again he should be reminded of his own dark past.

Traitors to Ireland but not to Eire is the best way of describing their action.[/quote]

It just reinforces how self loathing we are- Outrage when Gardai collude with the IRA, yet happy to ignore the murder of Irish citizens.

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 869423, member: 1796”]Took you long enough- Tho was there anything concrete in it?

It just reinforces how self loathing we are- Outrage when Gardai collude with the IRA, yet happy to ignore the murder of Irish citizens.[/quote]
Outrage is driven by a media which wants to generate column inches and ratings.

Most people with any intelligence should understand that in any conflict/war there are subtleties and shades of grey and people act out of selfish interests (money, career advancement), political interests (ideology) or simply self preservation. It is difficult to pick out these nuances from the high moral ground.