The Snooker Thread (Part 2)

Who beat him?

Holt

1 Like

Daniel Wells the first into the semis. Great opportunity this for the amateurs

Playing well. Lost his card after the covid

2 Likes

Toss of a coin for the final.

Poor old jimmy- must be back on the beer!

Cracking break to win.

1 Like

50 grand. Nice pot.

2 Likes

German Masters tomorrow. Only five or six of the top sixteen have qualified and that includes the two Chinese lads who are banned. Wide open.,

1 Like

Tom Ford to win

Fixers ‘target young stars’ at snooker talent factories

Players coached in Sheffield academies allegedly targeted with threats to fix matches

Young Chinese snooker players who have come to Britain hoping to make the breakthrough as top professionals have allegedly been targeted with threats to make them deliberately lose matches.

One 20-year-old, Chang Bingyu, has alleged that Liang Wenbo, a 35-year-old senior player with a court conviction for assault, threatened him and ordered him to lose a match in September’s British Open, which he did out of fear of reprisals.

A source with knowledge of the match-fixing investigation confirmed there was an aggressive phone call, allegedly made by Liang, to Chang telling him to lose the match.

Liang and Chang are among ten Chinese players — all based in England and most linked to two academies in Sheffield — who have been charged by snooker’s worldgoverning body, the WPBSA, in relation to match-fixing as part of the biggest scandal to hit the sport.

There are also concerns that threats have been made to players and to their families from what one source called an “external force”.

The academies, the Ding Junhui Snooker Academy and Victoria’s, are recognised by the WPBSA and have been part of the sport’s drive to embrace China. They offer competition-quality tables and players pay a fee to cover accommodation in student-type flats and coaching, sometimes funded by the Chinese government.

There are 25 Chinese players on the world tour at the moment, a fifth of the total, and another six or so on the secondary Q Tour hoping for a senior tour card. Many of them are attached to the two Sheffield academies, often living together, and some, it is alleged, have been targeted with threats to fix matches to allow others to make money from betting.

The age of some of the players charged with match-fixing has raised concerns — most are in their twenties and four are under 22. Tracey Crouch, the former sports minister, said snooker’s authorities needed to ensure young players were protected from coercion.

Ding Junhui is snooker’s most successful player to emerge from Asia and the manager of his academy declined to comment when The Times visited it, beyond saying: “The investigation is still going on and we are helping it.”

The other academy is run by Victoria Shi, who has made a success of spotting talent in China, and did not respond when approached. There is no suggestion either academy has any connection to match-fixing.

One official, who asked not to be named, said Victoria had been “in tears” after the charges were announced. “No one can understand why the players have done it,” the official said. “It’s baffling.

“There is absolutely no doubt they would all have known the rules from the induction programmes when they arrived. But it is very worrying — you cannot be with the players 24 hours a day.”

The Gambling Commission is understood to be considering whether to call in the police to investigate, especially if it is suspected that organised crime is involved.

Two of snooker’s leading young players are among those facing fixing charges. Zhao Xintong, 25, and Yan Bingtao, 22, have already each made significant sums in prize money but now their careers are on the line, with snooker’s rules including the possibility of a lifetime ban for match-fixing.

Sources have told The Times that a number of matches that the two players have competed in are being studied by investigators, including last year’s German Masters final, when Zhao beat Yan 9-0.

Zhao has been charged with “being concerned in fixing matches” on the World Snooker Tour while Yan has been charged with “fixing matches on the tour”. Both have also been charged with betting on snooker.

The most serious allegations surround Liang, the 2016 English Open winner, who was banned last year by the WPBSA after he pleaded guilty to a “sustained assault” on a woman in Sheffield city centre — he was caught on CCTV punching and kicking her, continuing even when a passer-by tried to intervene. He was fined and given a 12-month community order, and banned from snooker for four months as a result.

On October 27, Liang was suspended by the World Snooker Tour again pending a new investigation into misconduct. Six weeks later, the tour announced that five players had been suspended and in a now deleted post on Weibo, China’s version of Twitter, Chang alleged he had been scared into fixing the score to lose his British Open match against Jamie Jones 4-1 in September last year.

He wrote: “Liang Wenbo called me in a threatening tone, saying he was [betting on] my game against Jamie Jones. I was afraid that he had bet so much money. If I didn’t agree, he would make trouble for me, so I had no choice but to agree. I was very scared.

“It is my mistake, and I will actively cooperate with the investigation. I can accept my punishment.”

He also claimed an accomplice of Liang approached him the morning he was due to meet investigators and handed him a phone. “On the phone, Liang told me to lie, or I would get myself into trouble,” Chang wrote.

In a recent post on Chinese social media, Liang denied he had ever been involved in match-fixing, that he would challenge the claims legally, and also suggested he would blow the whistle on other corrupt practices.

Liang is not one of the five players charged with betting on matches, which is against snooker’s rules, but has been charged in relation to fixing. Chang’s charge is also related to fixing rather than betting.

Snooker’s integrity unit is headed by a former Metropolitan Police detective chief superintendent, Nigel Mawer, who carried out the police investigation into spot-fixing by three Pakistan cricket internationals in 2011. It is understood to have received information from a confidential whistleblower’s line as well as snooker’s data partner Sportradar, with suspicious betting patterns flagged up in regular betting markets and irregular ones in the Far East.

Jason Ferguson, the WPBSA chairman, said player welfare was already its priority. “There are 125 players on the tour and we know them all personally,” Ferguson said. “We will always consider players’ welfare, especially young players — we do care about them.”

The scandal is a huge blow for the sport, especially at a time when it is looking to expand into new markets such as the US, but Ferguson insisted: “We will come through this — we believe this is a short-term cloud that will blow away and the sun will come out again.”

3 Likes

Lisowski, Slessor , Pemgfei win. Jimmy playing tonight

2 Likes

Well done jimmy!

2 Likes

Just watching it back here now

Lisowski playing Jimmy tonight

2 Likes
2 Likes

2-0 jimmy

1 Like

Jimmy loses 5-2.

Still, I remain cautiously optimistic he might just do it at the Crucible this year.

Jimmy the first player over 60 to reach the last 16 of a ranking event since Eddie Charlton at the British Open in 1992. You’d sense that Jimmy is coming into form at just the right time as we start to move towards the business end of the season.

1 Like

If lisowski is ever going to win a tournament it has to be this one! There’s no one left of note in it!

Playing poorly.