The Snooker Thread (Part 1)

Iā€™d argue Hendry achieved far more in a more competitive era. Ronnie, while definately the more talented hasnā€™t delivered as many world titles as he should have.

2 Likes

We could argue the point all day and not agree. I can see the case for Hendry.

1 Like

Carter and Dott 7-7, the captain just won a crucial frame there after Dott missed a green with the frame at his mercy.

Shaun Murphy leads Jamie Jones 4-1 on the other table.

Jones has been disappointing so far. I dislike Murphy but he is a great player in big tournaments tbf.

1 Like

Ronnie I would rate more naturally talented but itā€™s decided on achievement so Hendry wins out.

1 Like

Dott rattles in his first 50 of the match in frame 15. He goes 8-7 up in this scrappy game, it wouldnā€™t surprise me if they canā€™t finish this match in this session and have to come back tonight.

Dott loves grinds like this.

Carter goes 9-8 up, first time in the match heā€™s had a lead. They are keeping the players out there.

Murphy leads Jones 5-4 at the end of their first session.

Carter looks to have ground this out, big win against a dour hard beaten fucker.

63 ahead with 67 left.

Carter wins 10-8 and faces Ronnie in the second round. That was a gruelling battle and the captain showed his joy by punching the air at the end.

1 Like

Kyren Wilson rattles a 121 to take an 8-2 lead against Matthew Stevens.

Stevens with a nice 68 break makes it 8-3.

On the other table Crucible debutant Lu Haotian is on the verge of going 8-3 up against veteran Hong Kong cueman Marco Fu.

Stevens was in with a great chance of making it 8-4 but he touched off the pink and called the foul himself. Wilson with a great chance of going 9-4 up now but you have to salute Matthewā€™s Corinthian spirit there.

1 Like

Wilson makes it 9-4.

The Crucible have banned fans from wearing football jerseys this year, probably after those 2 guys in the Coventry and Dundee Utd tops sat there every day in the front row and made eyesores out of themselves. But it looks like some Muldoon has snuck in wearing a GGA training top. Looks like itā€™s a club team, heā€™s sitting in the front row to the right of the players.

Has Stevens just called a foul on himself in a decisive frame when it wasnā€™t a foul at all?

It certainly looks like it, bizarre. But Iā€™m sure Matthew felt he had to call it if he felt he touched the red.

Wilson goes through 10-3 and he looks in great nick. Beaten in the final of the masters and he gave Selby loads in the recent China open semi-final. Heā€™s in the top section of the draw that just saw Selby eliminated and plays the winner of the Murphy match next.

1 Like

Wilson could go all the way. Very talented player. Temperament was a bit suspect before but he seems a bit calmer now. He will have a big say.

2 Likes

Lyu beats Fu 10-5.