The Snooker Thread (Part 1)

Peter Ebdon beat Hendry in a world final, case closed.

1 Like

The 90s really were a golden era for snooker. Pure dross out there at the moment.

1 Like

I read a bit of Hendry’s book a while back and he claimed that he and his family received a death threat before the 1997 World Championship, if Hendry won it.

So he says of course.

Gas cunts.

Incorrect.

Hendry’s last World title. He had to beat Paul Hunter, James Wattana, Mark Stevens, Ronnie O’Sullivan and John Higgins. Every one of those won a minimum of 3 ranking titles each.
Ronnie’s last world title. Marcus Campbell, Ali Carter, Bingham (Stuart, not Billie), Judd Trump, Barry Hawkins.I doubt they have 3 between them.

O’Sullivan lost semi finals to Graeme Dott and Stuart Bingham.

And Stephen Hendry largely wasn’t able to live with those players in the late 1990’s. Hendry win in the UK Championship in 1996 was the 17th of his 18 triple crown wins. O’Sullivan, Higgins and Williams, all born in 1975 were only 21 and emerging. Once they were all up and running and in their pomp, they were a much tougher calibre of opponent than the fragile Jimmy White, Nigel Bond and Alan McManus. After 1996, Hendry only won one more Triple Crown, the World in 1999.

Hendry was a great player in his own right but he never produced snooker of the quality that Ronnie did when he beat Hendry 17-4 and 17-6 in the word semi finals of 2004 and 2008.

Who did all those guys who beat Ronnie beat go get a shot at Ronnie?

You are full of statistics to suit your agenda.

Good point, he relied on some chump to beat Selby because he couldn’t do it himself. Another asterisk.

Okay, Mike.

You can call a halt so.

Stephen Hendry lost his world title in the first round in 2000 to the 97 seeded player, who was on his Crucible debut. Stuart Bingham was the name of the chap that beat him.

Now, now. Please refrain from using facts in this debate.

The Ronnie bashers are bitter of course, the man is a genius. He’s still winning now today when the competition has never been as tough.

1 Like

But those moments with Ronnie have been fleeting enough given his clear supeiority talent wise.

The way I look at it is that O’Sullivan is the best ever talent wise - for instance his ability to play left handed is just ridiculous. Those matches you mention are examples of how much better his natural ability was when he wanted it to be.

However he still lies behind Hendry in terms of Worlds and I feel that he has underachived as a result.

1 Like

I am not disputing that but showing that individual defeats are ridiculous to this argument.

So you agree, Hendry = Robot & Ronnie = GOAT ( Magician ).

1 Like

he just sees snooker as a job mate, and some days he just isn’t that bothered.

1 Like

Good luck to him.

:roll_eyes:

It’s all relative.

It’s like saying Pele isn’t the Greatest Footballer of all time because he never won a FA Cup Medal.