The Snooker Thread (Part 1)

Odds from Paddy Power to win the world championship outright. Sorry it was a copy and paste job and it got a bit messed up.

Ronnie O’Sullivan 15 - 8
Mark Allen 25 - 1
Mark King 150 - 1

Stephen Maguire 8 - 1
Joe Perry 40 - 1
Andrew Higginson 250 - 1

Mark Selby 8 - 1
Jamie Cope 50 - 1
Michael Holt 250 - 1

John Higgins 12 - 1
Stephen Hendry 50 - 1
Steve Davis 250 - 1

Ali Carter 12 - 1
Peter Ebdon 66 - 1
Martin Gould 300 - 1

Shaun Murphy 14 - 1
Ricky Walden 80 - 1
Stuart Bingham 300 - 1

Ding Junhui 16 - 1
Graeme Dott 80 - 1
Gerard Greene 300 - 1

Neil Robertson 16 - 1
Liang Wenbo 80 - 1
Jamie Burnett 400 - 1

Mark Williams 20 - 1
Barry Hawkins 100 - 1
Rory McLeod 400 - 1

Ryan Day 25 - 1
Joe Swail 125 - 1
Nigel Bond 400 - 1

Marco Fu 25 - 1
Stephen Lee 125 - 1

Snooker is very crooked. Not the World Championship but the smaller tournaments are toxic.

I’d believe it.
Darts also i’d say.

Stephen Maguire and Jamie Burnett questioned by police over betting allegations

A Strathclyde Police spokesman said: 'Our economic crime unit can confirm that two men, aged 28 and 33, have been detained and are assisting Strathclyde Police with their inquiries into the alleged irregular betting pattern associated with the snooker match involving Stephen Maguire and Jamie Burnett.

The first-round match, which was subject to investigations by World Snooker and the Gambling Commission, was won 9-3 by Maguire.

Maguire beat his fellow Scot after Burnett failed to pot a black ball that would have reduced his arrears to 8-4.

Before the match, World Snooker was contacted by bookmakers reporting suspicious betting patterns on the outcome.

They said there was heavy gambling on a 9-3 scoreline - provoking suspicion from bookmakers.

Both men strenously denied any wrongdoing, and have pledged to co-operate with any investigations.

Nice to know the investigation is in capable objective hands…:smiley:

If it was Greame Dott you can bet he’d be led out the back with no charges.

[quote=“tipptops*”]Stephen Maguire and Jamie Burnett questioned by police over betting allegations

A Strathclyde Police spokesman said: 'Our economic crime unit can confirm that two men, aged 28 and 33, have been detained and are assisting Strathclyde Police with their inquiries into the alleged irregular betting pattern associated with the snooker match involving Stephen Maguire and Jamie Burnett.

The first-round match, which was subject to investigations by World Snooker and the Gambling Commission, was won 9-3 by Maguire.

Maguire beat his fellow Scot after Burnett failed to pot a black ball that would have reduced his arrears to 8-4.

Before the match, World Snooker was contacted by bookmakers reporting suspicious betting patterns on the outcome.

They said there was heavy gambling on a 9-3 scoreline - provoking suspicion from bookmakers.

Both men strenously denied any wrongdoing, and have pledged to co-operate with any investigations.[/quote]

stephen maguire always struck me as an alright sort. The demise of snooker halls in this country saddens me. Spawell gone now.

A good bit of snooker over the weekend.

Superb match yesterday between Higgins and O’Sullivan where Ronnie came back from 8-2 down to 8-8 before Higgins took the decider.

The final is a really tight affair with Ding Junhui leading Higgins 8-7. First to 10.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]A good bit of snooker over the weekend.

Superb match yesterday between Higgins and O’Sullivan where Ronnie came back from 8-2 down to 8-8 before Higgins took the decider.

The final is a really tight affair with Ding Junhui leading Higgins 8-7. First to 10.[/quote]

Did you see the brown Higgins missed to lose the last frame? He’s not playing well here but he’s hanging in.

Shocking.

Willie Thorn wrecks my head.

Ding Junhui looking good for 9-7 here. Couple of great pots on the colours.

Ronnie is going to be using a purple cue from now, starting at the Masters next week.

[quote=“tipptops*”]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/05/article-0-07C35453000005DC-900_468x370.jpg

Ronnie is going to be using a purple cue from now, starting at the Masters next week.[/quote]

ronnie is a great bet for the world championship. i’m led to believe that his old fella is due for release shortly and ronnie will want to win the world championship with his old fella in attendance. this is exactly the motivation this genius needs to keep his focus. i’ve watched him carefully this year and hes definitely playing with more consistency. I’ll be lumping on once the above is confirmed:thumbsup:

I have been a huge fan of snooker since I was knee-high, which was shoulder-high for the rest of you, and without a doubt Ronnie O’Sullivan has been the best player I have ever seen take up a cue. He is also tremendously entertaining even if he is playing a very defensive game.

Legend.

He’s a scumbag cunt, that’s what he is. He’s the type of Cockney geezah you’d expect to turn up at Ally Pally for the fake darts. Oh wait.

What’s that, Ronnie? You’re 17-8 down in a frame and missed an easy blue so you walked off and conceded the match.

Cunt.

[quote=“Bandage”]He’s a scumbag cunt, that’s what he is. He’s the type of Cockney geezah you’d expect to turn up at Ally Pally for the fake darts. Oh wait.

What’s that, Ronnie? You’re 17-8 down in a frame and missed an easy blue so you walked off and conceded the match.

Cunt.[/quote]

I used hold an opinion similar to that about him, and there is that element to him granted, but I think what he offers in terms of pure talent on the snooker table is a sight to behold sometimes and should be recognised as such.

[quote=“Bandage”]He’s a scumbag cunt, that’s what he is. He’s the type of Cockney geezah you’d expect to turn up at Ally Pally for the fake darts. Oh wait.

Cunt.[/quote]

Fairly bad form to make fun of someone with a medical condition.

For Shame Bandage, For Shame.

Cunt.[/quote]

in fairness, the lad has’nt had it easy. he also suffers from depression. ronnie o’sullivan is a legend:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:. i have heard that barney also may be suffering from depression (not confirmed). if this is so it may explain his ‘dummy out of the pram’ performances in latter times. if this is so i was too hard on him in the PDC thread.

Something very relaxing about watching a final of a snooker tournament on a Sunday night.

O’Sulivan leads Selby 6-5 in the final of the Masters. Anyone’s game this.

BBC have been talking about the “new walk-ons” at the interval. Please don’t tell me they are bringing in darts style walk ons in snooker.