The Saturday/Sunday Game Thread

Marie Crowe’s match reports are consistently woeful.

1 Like

Des Curran with two very good reports on Limerick-Wexford and Armagh-Fermanagh. RTÉ should be promoting broadcasters like him.

1 Like

I like Des but he has an annoying habit of using the word “charges”.

That was a very good crowd at the Athletic Grounds.

Real football, real football people.

Stefan Campbell has a lovely tan.

You get a higher quality of score taking from Ulster teams.

He’s exactly what I imagine @Nembo_Kid to look like

1 Like

Des is some fucking gee bag… Joe taking delight in Down sticking it to Monaghan and Des bleating on about it being ‘illegal’ … What a fucking wanker.

2 Likes

That was a weird Sunday Game all told. I don’t give a shit one way or the other about Connolly’s ban but I thought Gavin’s stance was strange mainly for the reasons @Gilgamboa outlined.

I’m perhaps being a bit hypocritical in that I think Sunday Game pundits have tried / do try to use their influence at times. But I reckon it’s usually at the latter stages of the championship when the stakes are highest like McStay trying to get Philly McMahon banned for the semi-final replay in 2015 and Whelan pointedly trying to get the referee to focus on Lee Keegan ahead of the final replay last year.

But does it matter as much if Connolly misses Leinster and maybe a quarter final? I don’t know if Spillane wasn’t just commenting on an incident that was worthy of being highlighted. It would have been stranger if The Sunday Game ignored it at the time. And the likes of McGeeney and the Tipp keeper have also been banned for similar incidents already this year without any pundit input.

3 Likes

Neither happened on televised games.

In reality, what Connolly did was a 12 week ban by the letter of the law, but in common sense terms, it was more or less a nothing incident.

Spillane made much more out of it than he should have. I also don’t think it is ideal for Connolly to have been out of action for 3 months when they will have what will probably be their first major Championship test.

You say connolly was singled out because of his track record. This makes Jim Gavin’s numerous references to Connolly’s “good name” all the more hilarious.

2 Likes

That’s my point.

Why would pundits have input when they didn’t know what happened?

My point is bannings were dished out for similar incidents when there was no pundit input.

He is being either incredibly stupid or incredibly awkward if he doesn’t get that

Comerford was sent off at the time.

McGeeney was reported by McQuillan after the game.

It would seem that the Connolly incident was dealt with at the time but due to the overreaction by certain elements of the media, Connolly was banned.

Was McGeeney sent off at the time?

No.

But the decision to ban him was free of media interference.

Like the way they ignored the big GAA story of that week. Y’know- the Kerry players drug ban?

Anyone recall Pat’s thoughts on that story on the night?

3 Likes

That’s my point again.

Yes and my point is that you haven’t a clue how serious the offences are in relation to McGeeney and Comerford.

We do know that the Connolly incident was a 12 week ban by the letter of the law, but in common sense terms it was a nothing issue. We have seen players put their hands on a referee since, which carries the same punishment and no commentary or censure has followed.

1 Like

Read the actual rule.