The Tennis Thread

Its not a exactly a who’s who of tennis when you look at who Nadal has played in Slam finals. 2007 - Mariano Puerta French Open, 2010 - Roger Soderling French Open, 2010 - Tomas Berdych Wimbledon, 2013 - David Ferrer French Open, 2014 - Stan Wawrinka Aus Open, 2017 - Stan Wawrinka French Open.

The rest then were against either Federer or Djokovic. Infact Nadal has not played Federer in a Slam final before the Australian Open this year since 2011 French Open.

So your point is mute.

My point is not mute.

Federer has won Fuck all slams since Djokovic and Nadal entered the primes of their careers. He made hay when tennis was at a very weak era, when it entered a golden era, he was 3rd best. That’s just the crux of the matter.

Hardly Federer’s fault, Nadal was consistently losing to lower ranked players when Federer was in the prime of his career 2003-07 - Paradorn Srichaphan at the 2003 Championship, Lleyton Hewitt at the Australia Open 2004 & 05, Andy Roddick at the US Open 2004, Gilles Muller at the 2005 Championship, James Blake at the 2005 US Open, Mikhail Youzhny at the US Open 2006, Fernando Gonzalez at the Australian Open 2007 and David Ferrer at the 2007 US Open.

Odd that you expect Nadal to have been in his peak when a teenager. Federer has been a very consistent player over his career. The problem is his best was a fair bit off that of Nadal and Djokovic.

I never said I expected Nadal to peak as a teenager. If you go through all the great players of the last 40 years - Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Wilander, Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Sampras, Agassi , Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, they won the bulk of their majors between the ages of 22-26. In the case of Wilander and Becker it was even a few years earlier than that.

Odd that you expect Federer to be still dominating in his 30’s at or close to the level he was at in his prime years. Of the 12 players I’ve cited, only 5 won Grand Slams in their 30’s and Agassi and Federer are the only multiple Grand Slam winners in their 30’s.

Federer’ s record haul of 8 Championships and 19 Grand Slams (when you factor in the lesser three), his consistent excellence and longevity over a 15 year period ranks him as the GOAT.

And Federer has a dreadful record against both Nadal and Djokovic in terms of head to head and slams when they entered their prime years.

Most of his titles were won against dross and kids.

Odd that the top 5 in the world was made up of 30+ lads earlier this year.

Why are you posts so anti-logic?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that tennis is in rag order as it has been for at least a decade. Sport in long standing crisis in its two traditional powerhouses of the US and Australia.

Or maybe you’re going to tell me that Federer, three weeks shy of turning 36 becoming the first player since Borg in 1976 to win the Championship without dropping a set is now entering his prime.

I’m just saying he’s struggled since 2008 when Djokovic and Nadal made their breakthrough.

Federer has won 7 Grand Slams since 2008. That’s the same number as John McEnroe won in his entire career and one more than Becker and Edberg. That’s a real anti-logic observation on your part.

Not great in comparison to Nadal and Djokovic in that time, particularly considering Nadal’s recurring injury problems.

1 Like

Del Porto takes the first Set 6 - 4

The greatest progresses to the final and will be red hot favourite for slam no. 16.

2 Likes

Sloane Stephens giving it bangs here. As an aside the camera occasionally focuses in on a lady with a lovely chest, who may be part of the Stephens entourage

Some bloke called Stephen Sloane just won the Ladies one there.

Stephens wins 6-3 6-0

1 Like

Big hold for Anderson in the third game there.

When did Sky lose the rights to the US Open.

Another huge hold for Anderson.

Nadal really pressing him on his serve but he’s survived so far.

After 47 minutes, Nadal finally breaks.