The Tennis Thread

Kevin Andersen has never excelled anywhere in tennis. In 62 Masters Series events, he hasn’t made it to even one semi final. He’s made the 4th round at the French Open on three occasions as well.

I can’t recall a worse player ever making a Grand Slam final. Amusing that you’re bigging him up the merits of beating Kevin Anderson in a Grand Slam final so much.

Maybe if bog (grass) tennis had a masters series he might have got to one.

Unlikely if there was a competitive field. In nine appearances at the All England Club, he exited in the 1st round on fours occasions, 2nd round once, 3rd round once and the 4th round on three occasions.

He made it to the final of Queens, the 2nd most illustrious grass court tournament in 2015. It’s very likely he would have made an impact in it as big serving dinosaurs thrive on the grass - Phillopousis, Cilic, Janowicz, Tomic, Querry, Karlovic etc all have had some of their best performances at Wimbledon. Anderson is no different.

Queens ffs, cop onto yourself.

I know right, it’s the second most high profile tournament in bog tennis.

Seriously m8, that’s shit for a master debater, up your game son.

That would be the Gerry Weber sponsored Halle Open. No Fed, no party.

You need to decide whether or not you are ridiculing bog tennis or not. Either way you’re proving my point.

I didn’t prove any point for you, as a matter of interest, how many of the world top 20 played Queens in 2015?

The top 8 seeds were all in the top 14 at the time.

You can come back to me when you’ve decided whether or not you want to continue ridiculing bog tennis.

Indeed, you’re dead right to give it socks for your man. Who cares if he beat 5 bums all ranked outside of the Top 50 to get to the semi final, the Number 24 seed in the semi final and the Number 28 seed (who’d ventured beyond the last 16 for only the 2nd time in 33 Grand Slams) in the final. A major is still a major.

I’m struggling to come up with a sporting analogy of such a soft route to a title. Maybe the Kerry footballers beating the likes of Waterford, Limerick, Cork (twice) and Mayo in the noughties to win an All Ireland.

Queens is a 4th tier tournament, get up the fucking garden.

Thanks for confirming the second most prestigious bog tennis tournament is a 4th tier tournament.

1 Like

Good of you to concede Federer picked up 13 slams pre 2008 against a load of bums and kids and couldn’t cut it with Nadal or Djokovic when they entered their prime years.

He’s boxed in here by his original assertion that Kevin Anderson excels on grass and hard courts. When I posted up the real stats of his performances in 26 Grand Slams on grass and hardcourt, Queens 2015 was the rabbit from the hat.

Have to say I prefer the grass of Wimbledon to the dirt track in Roland Garros, that’s a personal preference though.

Your words, not mine. Bizarre to dismiss multiple winning Grand Slam champions like Agassi, Hewitt and Safin and a US Open Champion, Andy Roddick as bums when you’ve been furiously bigging up the credentials of Kevin Anderson all night. Which category did the vanquished Nadal at the 2006 & 07 Championship or Djokovic at the 2007 US Open fall into - bums or kids?

Agassi was 35 when he played Federer in the 2005 US Open final. He played two more slams after this and retired. He was well past his best.

Hewitt, Safin and Rodrick would never have won slams when Nadal and Djokovic were in their prime - they simply weren’t up to the level. Federer made hay when when the field day weak. When Nadal and Djokovic entered their prime he was not up to it.

You can give Federer his dues. He’s been remarkably consistent throughout his career but his best has been a fair bit off the best of Nadal and Djokovic. Federer is a solid 7/10 player but he couldn’t compete with an in prime Nadal or Djokovic.

Nadal and Djokovic would have been 20 in 2006 and 2007 respectively.

Federer didn’t start winning slams and competing consistently until he was 22. Odd that you expect Nadal and Djokovic to be at their prime then. They were talented players back then but a bit off the finished article.