The things you buy in Aldi and Lidl thread. (Think before you buy - reduce waste)

Fuck off with this nonsense.

1 Like

What’s nonsense about it, you gobshite?

I’d prefer if you didn’t address my mate like that, mate.

I don’t see the need for name calling.

Of course buying in bulk is cheaper but who’s going to store a ton of spuds until they use them? No one.

To say the retail and process industry has fucked us over is nonsense as what you are gaining is convenience and convenience costs. I’m not sure about you but I don’t mind spending 4 Bob on a stone of spuds when it’s only a couple minutes if my time.

2 Likes

There are massive anticompetitive practices that are ignored by the competitions authority, especially in the meat industry. The 5 owners of the 5 biggest meat factories in Ireland are all in the 100 rich list, with Larry Goodman able to buy private hospitals from his supernormal profits. Prices fixed throughout the sector. Far from fuckin nonsense. Apologies for the gobshite comment. It’s an emotive issue for people who have to work full time away from farms to afford to keep tradition going.

4 Likes

Larry Goodman is a fuckin gangster and should be hung from the nearest tree

2 Likes

Every little helps

1 Like

1 Like

Alright sport, we went from talking about buying in bulk to the anticompetitive practices of the beef industry.

I don’t know enough about it to comment.

I know very little about the beef industry but it does sound like a closed shop, I’m sure actions have been taken in be past top break up this so called cartel but are there possibly avenues that have to be explored?

Not on this thread. Principles are same with veg as beef. Choco was highlighting how cheap the produce was. The retailers don’t take a loss, the primary producer does.

1 Like

I hope you have a good composter. You’ll fucking half of them into it in a few days.
My patience is wearing thin with Aldi and the shelf life of the fruit and veg. Their broccoli is always yellow within a couple of a days. Tomatoes that I bought last Saturday were going black around the stem on Wednesday.

1 Like

Same with strawberries.

It’s fucked up though, I was going buying celery in there the other day. 39 cent… FFS

I went for the organic option instead, at least the farmer might get some sort of a decent margin on that bit with all the paper work attached to organics its tough going too.

1 Like

You generally get what you pay for when it comes to fruit and veg I find.

2 Likes

Probably the best shop bought steak I’ve ever tasted, It is not that cheap though.

2 Likes

Sauces are good, in particular the curry ones with the spices in the cap.
Some of their stuff is absolutely loaded with salt though. Their pizzas are off the charts in terms of salt.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t be eating packaged shite like pizza and hotdogs, mate.

I don’t

I was looking at the headphones today, are they any use?

5 pound i paid for 170 grammes

The rib eye is my own personal favourite, 2 8oz steaks for €11.49. works out a little over €25 per kg. Think the fillet works out about €32 per kg.