The things you buy in Aldi and Lidl thread. (Think before you buy - reduce waste)

You said only roasters ate pizza… That’s some attack on your bestie.

We went to her friends house one Sunday where she and her partner made a dinner for all four of us. I suppose I can crack up the bottle of barolo like a big man when the time comes for us to reciprocate. Your man is the same fella who told her she needed to apologise to me over the Curragh debacle. A sound man.

4 Likes

Everybody eats pizza mate, I had pizza myself last Friday, Pizza Hut on the Childers road on the way back from funderland, I’ve always thought Pizza Hut was shit but it was ok this time.
Real roasters love pizza though, every shithole village in Ireland has a shitty pizza gaff now banging out doughy garbage with flavourless mozzarella.
As an aside I see that the Macroom buffalo people are doing a halloumi now, I’d pay good money for some of that out of the back of a truck.

Cmere I’m just back from Lidl myself. I was checking out the beer section but was underwhelmed by it. Cheap cans of what I can only presume is worse than maidens water. Can you recommend a good beer off the shelf in lidl or aldi?

The 4 bottle pack of Corsendonck would guarantee you a good nights sleep mixer.

1 Like

€1.89 a pop

1 Like

What’s it like ?

A lovely beer and seems to fly off the shelve in the local Lidl. I ritually pick up a couple any time I’m in to top up the stash

Is it from Rye River Brewing? I think it’s the same crowd that make all the supermarkets own brand beers.

You can get the Japanese beer Sapporo in Lidl for small enough money. It could be €1.19 a bottle or something similar. I had a few bottles of it tonight and it is smashing stuff for small money @caulifloweredneanderthal. Better than the normal piss you’d see for sale here.

I’m a huge fan of Franziskaner Weissbier for €1.99 a pop in Lidl but i’ve stopped drinking it as i was drinking down too much of it. Wheat beer isn’t for everyone however and if you get stuck into it too much over a year or so you will develop a gut.

Leffe blond is sold in Lidl too and is OK stuff, also the Thai beer Singha i find fine but these two wouldn’t be top of my list.

Aldi selection of beer is much inferior to Lidl.

2 Likes

2 for €2 on Sapporo and Kingfisher, a decent Indian beer. The kingfisher was sold out but I’ll be filling up on both over the weekend. Thanks for the tip pal :+1:

1 Like

Yes it is. Brewed in Kilcock. The local Off licence has been out of Augustiner (Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell | Augustiner-Bräu | BeerAdvocate) in recent weeks and this stuff is a worthy alternative. Over a euro cheaper as well :slight_smile:

Pretty sure they make own brand beers for Dunnes (Grafters), one of the brands for Musgrave’s, and the McGargles shite they seem to have managed to get into lots of pubs.

I’m going to pick up a box of Sapporo next time i’m in there, its passed the test. You never know when you walk into Lidl and that beer you liked is gone off the shelves. I saw the Kingfisher as well the other day and was toying with buying a few bottles but it looks awful watery and i just don’t know about anything from India.

It’s the finest. Have had it in the Mogul a few times. I prefer Cobra, which I used to have an awful soft spot for, and is usually available fairly cheap too

You’re correct. They do one for Tesco too I think.

Lidl will carry the beers on which they have done a deal with the brewer. It changes over time.

By the way if you have any taste for scotch, their premium whisky at 25 is excellent.

This is unbelievable, proper Italian ice

1 Like

Bought a box of 24 Sapporo tonight for €24 and am fairly pissed now having drank eight of those over the last 2-3hrs. Lovely stuff.

8 Likes

Another Belgian blond from Lidl. Not as nice as the other one.