The Vinyl Thread

A bit of Sunday morning easy listening here- The Villagers - where have you been all my life…Which is a lovely little album.

The Villagers are bland and shit.

2 Likes

I just told you that particular album is lovely… I respect your thoughts on sports, mate, but you know fuck all about music outside of Big Tom.

You listening to this on vinyl?

I used to work with a roaster who was a huge Bob Dylan fan (if that is not an oxymoron), it appears there were certain albums which were only available on Vinyl through eBay or some such, said roaster purchased said albums for a premium but as he didn’t have a record player he got some lad he knew to copy them onto cd, when your man tried to give him back the vinyl my mate said he didn’t want it and that your man could fuck it in the bin or keep it if he wanted to.

I’m not sure how to respond to that

Vinyl is and always was shite

Just the first part😄

Picked this up at the wonderful Rollercoaster Records in Kilkenny yesterday. I’ve a heap of paperwork to do today but am thinking of bypassing that and alphabetising my records

1 Like

Taking the plunge this afternoon and going to realphabitise the record collection. It’s all over the place now - what have I let myself in for?

4 Likes

Those records are taking up most of your bedsit mate, do you sleep on top of them?

They were moved out of a room they’re normally in, as some furniture was been moved around. They’re usually shelved/boxed.

That’s a lovely recording you have in the foreground there. I have it on high res digital and its a sublime listen. Like all well produced music, the better the system, the better it sounds, and the opposite also true, you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, garbage in, garbage out.

Good luck with the alphabetising. I gave up long ago and settled on the compromise of picking out the albums I actually am likely to listen to and sorted them. Still go back to the main stack(s) occasionally looking for something, and spend half an hour looking for it, but just couldn’t be arsed sorting all of it.

1 Like

This reminded me of @Fagan_ODowd and a room he may well have

2 Likes

I doubt he has the Phil Collins record prominently displayed though.

+1. A cuntish work.

You would know just by the head on him.

1 Like

Good drummer though.
Who can name the artist and song that the infamous drum sound from In the air tonight first appeared on (also with Collins drumming)? Collins and his producer have a lot to answer for given its use for the next decade.

I think the gated reverb first appeared on a Peter Gabriel album.

1 Like

Correct, specifically on Intruder, the opening track of PG3.

1 Like

Reissue of a superb LP here.

https://bleep.com/release/76289-manuel-gottsching-inventions-for-electric-guitar?utm_source=Bleep&utm_campaign=16f3c4d422-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_db8ca97389-16f3c4d422-2007781