šŸŒ¬ The Weather Thread part 2

Fine stretch in the evening

2 Likes

Lough Derg predates Ardnacrusha. Otherwise they would have called it Lough Pius XI.

There is a lot of lads from around my way with them in moneypoint. Apparently all earning 120k+ in shift work plus very regular overtime. Over the last few years they have given serious redundancy and pension packages to hire in contract workers instead.

1 Like

You mad bastardā€¦

Passed a couple of hours

Sure wasnā€™t I depending on you to answer my questions above.

I know sure. That area flooded above the first dam has no name at all. Itā€™s only on some maps. They didnā€™t want people sailing on it for fear they might hit a chimney or something.

Well to answer my own question as all the other answers were just stupid and I couldnā€™t be bothered engaging any more.

Basically they had been looking to dam the lower Shannon since the 1800s for any number of reasons, if you want to research into it. I think the answer is that itā€™s ā€œthe lie of the landā€ that determines what type of a dam is built.

There are three types of hydroelectric dams.

Impoundment. Most common type. Which is a large single wall dam with a large volume of water behind it, like the Hoover dam in the US.

Diversion. Like Ardnacrusha, which channels a portion of a river through a canal or penstock. It may not require the use of a dam as it may be channeled around a waterfall or whatever.

Pumped Storage. When the demand for electricity is low, a pumped storage facility stores energy by pumping water from a lower reservoir to an upper reservoir. During periods of high electrical demand, the water is released back to the lower reservoir and turns a turbine, generating electricity. There was talks of one of these being built on an inlet on the west coast, but it never took off for some reason.

So the great men at the time decided that the best solution for Ireland in the 1920s was a diversion system situated in Ardnacrusha.

RIP nashvillle https://twitter.com/shamnadoes/status/1234732582559997952?s=21

First real day of Spring today. A smashing evening here in the sporting capital of the island.

1 Like

An awful cunt of a day

1 Like

Ah here

Was there any warning given for today @TreatyStones?

Serious rain and wind at the moment. Youā€™d imagine water tables have not lowered too much in the past few weeks.

A warning in the north east alright.
Monday was a lot worse than today

The government could do with a spell of bad weather make it easier keep everyone indoors

Some very wet rain out there. A pity, was out and about getting the power of work done, but Iā€™ve had to retreat to the house for a bit.

I find that rain generally tends to be wet

This was very wet though Mike.

Thereā€™ll will be plenty of time over the next few weeks to get the odd jobs done, no need to get wet.

Lashing there now again