The Weather Thread

Absolute idiots, every last one of them. No different to the gobshites going in swimming in Salthill.

yeah it was madness i agree, ar dheis de go raibh a h- anam, etc
BUT… there is a tradition in the country of lads quickly claiming falling trees
you’d see travellers going mad for it, first man to the tree gets it, you’d hear of ferocious rows going on over fallen trees, fellas cut them for firewood
now, i presume this poor fella was killed when another tree fell on him as i hope the chainsaw didnt decapitate him… i obviously wasnt there and i have no clue why he was out cutting trees when there was clearly more to fall, id assume he was a rural fella and his owning of a chainsaw would suggest he might be au fait with conditions and have a respect for nature…but how what and why he was out there in those conditions?? it seems reckless, i dont know, its a horrible tragedy of course but by fuck, what was the man doing

in cobh, winds gusted to 69 knots, that’s a CAT2 hurricane, its around at 170km gust, lads that’s serious shit that causes structural damage, for a few hours it was consistent 50 knot wind, that’s a CAT1 hurricane… this has never been seen before, there were roofs taken clean off, milking parlours carried accross yards and boats that were doubled down with rope at the quay trashed… people down there tho are a lot of things but they are respectful of the weather… the town was locked down, people remained safe, personally i was in awe of the storm, i was buzzing on monday with the thought of it but i was nervous when i heard it roar in kildare , it was only a storm force here but still it was frightening see a power line come down
i got the feeling tho that people didnt respect the weather and the power of this, its not their fault i know, i think the governement did a brilliant job on monday getting everyone in
i am desperatly sad for that man\s family, but i cant help feeling it was reckless

2 Likes

agreed
i was really hoping dublin city would get a hiding and in places like dundrum we’d see serious damage and power cuts
alas, it is almost geographically impossible
imagine if it happened tho? grand canal dock been trashed to pieces??

Why is the poor lad with the chainsaw who died getting it in the neck and not the cancer support worker or the tradesman who died?

156km/h gusts were the top recorded I believe, at Roches point (there was 191km/h recorded at fastnet rock but thats off the coast and recorded at an elevated height of 200ft)… Storm Darwin highest gusts were 159km/h so it certainly has been seen before in the last few years infact.

1 Like

I see what you did there.

1 Like

The lad in Louth was coming home from work. His employer should be named and shamed.

What the other 2 were doing out, I don’t know. I just don’t get some people. @gilgamboa mentioned that the nurse was working but that was not the case.

1 Like

There are people out there oblivious to the world, mate… Princess’ sister is one of those… Didn’t know anything about the storm until she got an email from work later Sunday night telling her not to come in and was then texting the rest of the family asking about it…

1 Like

Personally I don’t blame anybody who died in the storm for their own deaths, and I don’t blame those who entered the water in responsible fashion, like the swimmers in Salthill, for anything, but had those cunts in the yacht ten miles off Wexford died, they would have been to blame for their own deaths, and had the RNLI cunts who rescued them died, they most definitely would have been to blame for their own deaths.

A fucking yacht. Typical.

It wasn’t @anon32894817 anyway. A paragon of responsible yacht ownership

My yachts grand I just had one of MTV minions check it out.

1 Like

Rain day today… Just passing Gibraltar and remembering our fallen comrades.

these blow by blow updates of your honeymoon are tedious. let me guess, she is in the shower again? your marriage wont last

2 Likes

I’d imagine being without power would go from inconvenience to absolute nightmare fairly rapid after 24 hours or so.

The power is out in Clarina since the storm and it’s great. The traffic lights are out of action so you can fly through there in the mornings. Hopefully they are out for the rest of the week.

1 Like

The novelty of candlelit dinners and monopoly wears off fairly quick

I’ve often wondered do those lights do anything but inhibit traffic. If they weren’t there sure people would just be sound and let people out.

I wouldn’t, but ya I’m sure some sap would

1 Like

Passed through clarina twice since Monday and noted both times how traffic in all directions was moving much more freely. Those lights are an abomination.

1 Like