The Weather Thread

Ah I know how to do it. It’s just not practical with the work that needs to be done around the place.

Look it.I’m off this week. I’ll tear over to your place this week.
What tools do I need. Will I get tea afterwards.

Grand job, will you bring on a track machine, a tractor, dumper trailer and somewhere to dump 10 loads of rubble

2 Likes

I’m on the way

3 Likes

lads
back lawn - very marshy out there at the mo
was going to throw down some top soil and grass seed but to honest im pretty sure the builders have filled the whole thing with rubble that has killed the drainage
options here if ye may

• throw down some topsoils and seed in March and see how we go over the summer
  • dig the thing out - get out all the rubble and start again
  • dig a trench and a few drainage pipes

its our first year in here - bout size of a tennis court

Rubble should help the drainage.

2 Likes

Depends what sort of shit you’re talking about though.

2 Likes

yeah that’s the problem
i was going to get a rotavator out there as a start when it dries up a bit and see if i can break up the soil anyway
now i have no clue what i am at ill have ye know

1 Like

Builder probably compacted whatever was there with track machines carrying materials to the other houses, if it’'s an estate you live in, so no soakage. Go with option 2 and a pipe to the storm drain, it should percolate properly for you then…

1 Like

yes i live in an estate in a north kildare commuter town ill have you know and i can confirm with my own eyes this is what happened

to dig this shit out are we talking some heavy artillery like a JCB?

this could be some sight … a JCB emerging into the estate with me at the helm

I’d start with a few French drain type things. See how you get on then, you can always add more to it as the year goes on.
Most likely compaction is your issue.

thanks @Brimmer_Bradley and i hope you are doing well

I’m grand buddy. I’d try a trench somewhere through the center of the lawn. Nothing too fancy, you can add spurs as the lawn drys and you find the worst spots.
It’s been an exceptionally wet year too so I wouldn’t be going overboard, start with the cheap option first.

1 Like

I’d ease up on the dung and compost where you’re planting the carrots. If the soil is too fertile it can split the carrots as bad as any stone.

1 Like

Ours did the same and the back garden is a mossy swamp for ten months a year. I would be going the drainage trench route.

Dig a couple of channels, fuck in a few drainpipes and cover with gravel and then soil. Have a deeper gravel soak pit at the bottom of the garden for it to flow into or, for bonus points, get it to drain into your neighbours garden, whichever one you like least.

1 Like

Why are you wasting money on drainage if you are going to move to Limerick.

Look, i couldn’t be bothered typing an addendum.
I should have used the gaa participle I suppose.
Now edited.

Is your house built on a flood plain?