The Woeful Sports Journalists Thread

True that. But no one grew up dreaming of playing in a wedding band. I hope.

My mate has a wedding band.think he teaches music as well. Its a way of staying out of 9 to 5 and do something he likes.he did a music degree and basically half of the people in his class are playing yidish jazz and the like to fuck all while he was a pragmatist

3 Likes

A friend of mine is one. I understand a few of the members also teach. I wonder if it’s the same band. The guys who own it make a fucking mint and it’s regular work. Don’t see anything to sneer at in that.

Don’t mind these cunts. They have no idea what lifes all about.

Judgemental fucks with no backbone.

1 Like

What a bizarre comment.
I’d imagine the majority of people in a “wedding band” enjoy playing music and if they can get paid it then all the better. Most are getting paid for their hobby, I’m sure most people would be happy with that. So what if it wasn’t their “dream”.

1 Like

Can you ask him did he grow up dreaming of being in a wedding band mate? Which was after all my initial assertion.

Personally I grew up dreaming of being a fireman. So we all have shit to deal with.

See above. Personally I’d find it hell on earth, but each to their own.

You’d be surprised.

There are plenty of journalism course out there and not enough jobs to go around. You can’t get a good job without some experience on your side so newcomers to the industry end up working for places like this a lot.

1 Like

Its also the best wedding band I’ve ever seen - I am personally biased but a few of my friends booked this band having seen them play at our wedding. A very sound lad too.

1 Like

And print sales continue to fall and fall. Online is the “future” and you gotta start somewhere. Like GAA.ie.

The brother in law of one of my work colleagues writes for joe or sportsjoe - he studied journalism for 4 years and possibly even has a masters. This makes me sad.

2 Likes

Yep,he runs it so makes the most.as far as im aware the rest of the band changes a lot

Online has been the future since 2004 but most of the media outlets, particularly newspapers, took too long to realise this. Some still haven’t.

That left a gap in the market for web sites like Joe.ie, The Journal and click bait sites to grow and tie up advertising revenues.

The likes of The Daily Mail and The Independent has responded by going down the click bait route while other like The Guardian have relied on their higher quality articles drawing readers to their site.

if you don’t have a job with a newspaper, TV or radio station you’re faced with a decision to join one of these sites, identify a role in an alternative media outlet like StoryFul or NewsWhip or find some other role in Industry that you can translate your skills to.

1 Like

You have lots of friends who do lots of different things.

2 Likes

Many people do.

Do they?

Same set up as my friend. A couple of them (not my friend) own it as a company and the rest are paid per show. They’d have back up stand ins for all the people in the band too. Often the people booking them would get a band full of the second string, proper mugged off. The guys that run it are cunts.

Christ, I didn’t realise it was that bad.

So the next independent.ie article about Conor McGregor [which is likely to consist of an opening paragraph, one or two embedded tweets, a photograph and a line to sign off with a token exclamation mark(!)] will more than likely be written some poor cunt who holds a journalism degree and possibly a masters in journalism too?

"We all know Conor McGregor enjoys a lavish and fast-paced lifestyle but the UFC champion surprised even his most ardent fans by taking delivery of no fewer than six motorcycles yesterday!

Tweet 1

Instagram Picture

Tweet 2

It’s not known yet if the motorcycles are for himself or gifts for his family and entourage but there’s no sign of his UFC opponents putting the brakes on Conor any time soon!"

The End.

By Bandage BCOMM ACA.

10 Likes

Yes. Lots of people have lots of friends. Often, those friends don’t all do the same thing. So overall, they would do lots of different things.

Def a degree or diploma.

The individuals with Master tend to be the one that come up with the process for producing the article, much like you’ve done above.

To be fair, though I’m not a fan of their sites, the like of Joe.ie and The Journal have constructed an excellent business based on the content available to them. The Journal are even trying to move from clickbait to become a more traditional news outlet with some opinion. They’re hamstrung by the standard of journalist they have a lower level though.

The Indo and the Daily Mail are fucking horrible considering they have everything at their disposal and, rather than come up with a decent model to generate revenue they copy the amateur site and hope for the best.

1 Like