Things I learned today (Part 1)

A lot has time has passed though since Hyde’s funeral.

It has down here I suppose.

But protestant was almost a dirty word up until the 00s.

Back in the 50s and 60s, it was common for employment advertisements in the 26 counties to contain ‘R.C. only’.

In fairness - for a long time big protestant firms only employed protestants where they could and especially at management level - it wasnt till the numbers started running dry in the 60s / 70s that Catholics took up senior positions in these firms.

And now @briantinnion is really seeing the fruits of that change.

2 Likes

An old article here but it covers it –

http://www.irisheconomy.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/The-Life-and-Death-of-Protestant-Businesses-in-Independent-Ireland.pdf

2 Likes

Stir that pot

Sure Papists were not allowed by their own Church to attend the country’s finest university the University of Dublin.

The Micks denying themselves an education.

1 Like

you mean College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin?

i wonder why

They would have gone to hell if they’d gone inside a Protestant church.

2 Likes

The Same micks would climb out of a RNLI lifeboat if it saved them drowning.

1 Like

In trinners they’d be waving, not drowning.

There wouldn’t be much room for her on the end of a bench. The lad at the far end would have a great view of proceedings though

1 Like

My oul.lad went to trinity at a time when bishop brown said that any Catholic going to trinity would go to hell

I’d imagine for a lad from Galway that being surrounded by the trinners fart sniffers that it would close to a living hell.

As a youngster, Haaland’s father Alf-Inge, used to “test” Erling by taking him to play a range of sports, including cross-country skiing, handball and athletics.

And it was the latter where the youngster excelled.

In fact, he recorded the world record for the longest standing long jump for a 5-year-old on January 22nd, 2006, where he jumped 1.63 metres.

Alfe-Inge Haaland explained his decision to “test” Erling in an interview with Dagbladet. “It was before he started playing football,” he said.

“We used to take him to athletics so he could test himself. Erling played handball, athletics and cross-country skiing til he turned 14. Norway’s handball manager wanted him to play handball.”

1 Like

He’s like a young Kyle Hayes

Is he up in court too?

9 Likes

Blood brothers is on the English junior cert curriculum

Apple will not allow villains use its products in movies.

Not sure that is true for TV shows having seen ( I think) Kevin Spacey character use Apple products in House of Cards.