Things I learned today (Part 1)

Randomly came across this club in Argentina, funnily enough called “hurling”. They do play hurling, gaelic football, hockey and rugby.

http://hurling.com.ar

2 Likes

The All-Stars played there a few times

2 Likes

The brother of a pal of mine was the Ambassador to Argentina and we were trying to get out there to play an exhibition match but it never came to pass, alas.

1 Like

Would have been some trip out to Argentina. Something different.
Had a quick look at their Instagram and there’s a young lad called Francisco Quinn. What a name!

I’ll be meeting a few of them next summer !

They all have quite Latin first names, mixed with Irish surnames - Guillermo O’Shaughnessy and the likes

PS I gather their main sport these days is rubby, unfortunately.

Like Uruguay, wasn’t there a load of Irish farmers who went over and set up shop donkeys years back?

Historically Argentina was the country that received the third most Irish immigrants during/after the famine. (Or something like that, I remember reading somewhere)

There were hapes of paddies in Argentina, their first admiral was an Irish lad or son of one

Yeah and Uruguay had one specific period too where Irish poured in to help build the agricultural industry

There is a statue of him on Sir John Rogerson’s Quay in Dublin.

2 Likes

The way I heard the story he was made head of the navy after one of his successes. Then in peacetime he had nothing to do so went away off and became a pirate for which he was discharged in disgrace. Then Argentina got into another war and were getting the head pucked off them so they went looking for admiral brown and made him head of the navy again and he saved the day.

2 Likes

I remember when I was I a barman serving 3 Argie Navy guys who came in wearing full navy uniform because they had come to Ireland to find the birthplace of Admiral Brown and honour him.

1 Like

Scorer if first goal in 1986 World Cup final was a Brown

2 Likes

Sure doesn’t Pochettino come from Murphy a small town in Argentina named after an Irish emigrant from Wexford.

Uruguay rugby had Kilkenny man Santiago Phelan lining out for years.

Soccer wise, Carlos/Alexis McAllister, Fabien O’Neill and Diego Forlan have Irish lineage.

To honour him. and to clean up with the chicks.

That the end of that story?

Maybe in 86 but not sure you can call Latin Americans that anymore

2 Likes

Big Wexford connection in the pampas