That’s the stuff.

Not one person in the real world has mentioned ‘Cheltenham’ to me

This shite is dying thank God

5 Likes

Things that are wrong thread

That’s some good thinking.

1 Like

It’s very 2000.

Can’t wait for the Grand National, mind.

Well look, there was a time when you’d nearly have to maintain a passing interest in ‘Cheltenham’ because people would be talking about it,
Thankfully nobody cares anymore.

I also like the Grand National though I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch

I had a big chat about it at lunchtime with a couple of lads and I know somebody with a horse running tomorrow.

3 Likes

In the ‘Olympics’ of horse racing? that’s very impressive, all of Ireland is behind that horse (unless it’s an English horse, we hate them)

I’ve all the Cheltenham threads muted here too. It’s the little things.

4 Likes

Correct. Horse hasn’t a chance though.

I wouldn’t go to the trouble of muting them
But my point is valid I think, very few people care anymore, if it wasn’t for the gambling industry propping up sports radio it would be almost solely the preserve of full time gamblers

Very little hype about it? Why do you think it was popular before and not now? It’s still on terrestrial tv etc. I definitely feel the same has happened rugby too. There’s no way the players now are as well known as the drico rog era. Maybe it’s just our age and we’re not out drinking as much.

I would have thought Gold Cup day was the one where you got the general public chattering about it

Maybe,
If it wasn’t for bookies hyping the shot out of it through ‘partnerships’ with media outlets it wouldn’t matter a fuck
I think ‘we’ have become too good, sure it’s not a competition anymore is it?
Horse racing is an excuse to gamble, Cheltenham is a great way for the bookies to hook thousands more, all in the pretence that it’s a hobby, a sport even :man_shrugging:

Sexton would be as well known through sheer longevity. The new Lansdowne Road is a terrible ground for rugby. Morgue like all seater atmosphere with people ferrying pints in all the time. This has knock on effects for television. It’s not near as good a television spectacle as it was back in the 2000s.

Thomond Park has scarcely been filled since 2009.

Irish rugby runs as tight a ship PR wise as you could possibly do but that has sucked nearly all personality out of it.

I think the McGurk-Hook-Pope trio were well established and an attraction in themselves, but like Ye Olde RTE association football panels they’re now long gone.

People do tune in to see people talk about sport - if they’re good television.

2 Likes

They’re all at home studying the form…

Sitting in a bar. Two lads beside me. Look like good friends. Ating. Drinking. Barley a word of conversation passed in the 15 minutes I was there.

They were just joined by a third friend. A woman.

They’ve not stopped talking - all 3 of them - since she arrived.

The female spark to fuel.

Men don’t need to talk to communicate effectively

11 Likes

Very true.

It was like seeing an abstract idea made real in front of me.