Top 10 Dublin Pubs

Bindu the Arab had problems getting through airport security. He wouldn’t take his turban off.

An additional question to ask on this thread is where is the best smoking garden? Im looking for a place with a comfortable smoking area thats as comfortable as being inside. Any ideas?

have you tried mountjoy ?
you get to smoke your tabs while the old guys get to turn your hole into a clowns pocket.
everyone’s a winner

Just reading the front page of the Dublin Pub Scene at lunch, this is what they had to say about cassiddys, anybody else find this funny:

Cassidys Bar
Cassidy’s is a real Irish bar with a bohemian atmosphere serving wholesome traditional and international food all day. There are three floors with Jazz in the basement, a piano bar and mezzanine area.

Yeah “real Irish”. Jazz, a piano bar and a mezzanine. Oh begorrah tis real Irish I tell ya

Experienced the good and the bad of Dublin’s establishments on Saturday night.

First off in the South William and that was my second visit. Cannot stand that place. Music is just way too loud and it’s impossible to have a conversation with anyone. Took ages to get served at the bar and it was ridiculously warm. Never again.

Then off to Doyle’s for a couple of late pints followed by a Nitelink home. Grand boozer, got seats in a stroke of luck but more importantly got to savour a few nice pints of Guinness with some decent music in the background and then a 60 second stroll to the waiting Nitelink.

If you get seats in Doyles it’s a grand spot alright. If not, its not the most pleasant of establishments. I tend not to go there much due to this fact. If I’m going to Doyles and I will be standing I’d head upstairs.

I visited a pub called The Confession Bar on Friday for a quick pint. Strange place. Room for about 10 people after that it would be uncomfortable. 2 oul lads playing ballads. Quite a funny place.

I’ll probably take a visit to JJ Smyths tomorrow night to try and catch the last 10-15 minutes of the Bohs game. I wish I could get up to Derry for it :angry:

Is that Confession Bar place just beside the Pro Cathedral? Always tempted to go in there if that’s the spot.

Oops, its actually called the Confession Box. Yeah thats the place Rocko. It certainly has character.

Character-filled part of town that. There’s a little stamp shop upstairs from Sportsmith; cracking little setup.

Re: the pubs, would echo the sentiment that the list looks ridiculous without Mulligans, and Flannery’s would have to be in there as well. I also got a bit of good and bad over the weekend. Friday: McDowells (Inchicore), The Oak, and then The Gaiety (didn’t pay in). Saturday: Bia Bar, Flannery’s. Sunday; Bowe’s (way better than Doyles), Flannery;s Coppers.

Suffering now. :angry:

Sledgehammer wrote:

Character-filled part of town that. There’s a little stamp shop upstairs from Sportsmith; cracking little setup.

Re: the pubs, would echo the sentiment that the list looks ridiculous without Mulligans, and Flannery’s would have to be in there as well. I also got a bit of good and bad over the weekend. Friday: McDowells (Inchicore), The Oak, and then The Gaiety (didn’t pay in). Saturday: Bia Bar, Flannery’s. Sunday; Bowe’s (way better than Doyles), Flannery;s Coppers.

Did I see that right? “Saturday: Bia Bar, Flannery’s” Wheres Coppers on the list? :slight_smile:

Pulled in Flannery’s → no need to go to Coppers. :angry:

Sledgehammer wrote:

Is Bowe’s a late bar?

Nope. Bowes isnt a late bar(if I’m wrong I’ll stand corrected).Nice little spot alright.

It’s not unfortunately. There was a trad seisin last night, some fantastic musicians. The Curragh of Kildare got a bar or two.

Bowe’s (way better than Doyles),

Better on the Guinness and the seating situation, also you don’t have a black in the jacks looking for money to press a tap on. (no offence intended there but I’ve yet to see a toilet attendent that wasn’t black.)

I don’t think it’s a late bar though!

I wash my hands and take a towel as is my entitlement. I do this without paying. The lads are providing a service with the chewing gum and eau de tiolette and what have you; I don’t think they should be paid for allowing you to wash your hands, and strangely enough I don’t think they expect to be.

What would Sam L Jackson think about this?

Bowes is indeed a nice little boozer. Only problem is its tendency to be overpopulated with know-it-all pissed up journos from across the road who believe they’re in some front line fight for justice as opposed to just pissing on their own shoes.

There is a little boozer called Ryans down a laneway from the main square in Smithfield. It has another entrance on Queen’s street, I think.
Excellent barstaff, communal atmosphere, lovely pints, little pool table. Great place to pass a day.

I wash my hands and take a towel as is my entitlement. I do this without paying. The lads are providing a service with the chewing gum and eau de tiolette and what have you; I don’t think they should be paid for allowing you to wash your hands, and strangely enough I don’t think they expect to be.

I just find it extremely overpowering, I like to wash my own hands and dry them off myself without someone handing me a towel. Here’s a comparasion, The 5* Conrad (where I’d sit on the pot for comfort regardless of needing a shit or not!) does not have a toilet attendent, yet Eamon Doran’s does, WTF??