Top 10 Irish Restaurants (that spidey visited in a week )

The name of it is Yo Thai its above Kielys pub in Donnybrook. A1!

Tiger you should have prefaced that with a warning:

Keilys is not a recommendation nor is it a suitable venue for anyone who may or may not have arrived to this thread by way of another forum.

Funny.

People are shobbish towards Kielys for (apparently) being snobbish towards them.

Kielys is a grand spot, lot of time for the bar area meself.

I lunched there everyday for about 18 months,‘95’96; great toastie’s, but Fridays’ after work drinks; and they arrive.

Scary

Very accurate infact, bill came to 99 before tip, so 100 in total. http://www.thefreekick.com/board/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Mussay I was a little underwhelmed Arty. Decor was moderate, chairs were like something out of a school staffroom. Service ordinary in that we were never offered a dessert menu or asked whether we wanted coffees etc. Food I thought while fine was pretty plain. I was lucky I had my charming repartee to keep the night alive. 5/10

Surprised to see Martin Scorsesse dined in there.

Not a huge fan of fussy restaurants but I like some of these

• Le Gueleton: won’t take bookings so have to queue, agree a time and come back later
  • Darwins: Aungier St, great spot
  • Gruel: staff attitude excepted
  • Ho Sen: Vietnamese place in Temple Bar
  • The Larder: informal place on Parliament St
  • Chez Max: French bistro beside Dublin Castle
  • Winding Stair
  • Koh: Asian place behind Jervis Centre
  • Peploes: Stephens Green, about as posh as I like but great food
  • Seven: Out in Stoneybatter but have had good food there

Best grub I had recently was in The Long Dock in Carrigaholt, near Kilkee - seafood, wine and pints of Guinness after, splendid.

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER**”]Very accurate infact, bill came to 99 before tip, so 100 in total. http://www.thefreekick.com/board/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Mussay I was a little underwhelmed Arty. Decor was moderate, chairs were like something out of a school staffroom. Service ordinary in that we were never offered a dessert menu or asked whether we wanted coffees etc. Food I thought while fine was pretty plain. I was lucky I had my charming repartee to keep the night alive. 5/10

Surprised to see Martin Scorsesse dined in there.[/quote]

so the meal didn’t come quite up to scratch, the important question is did the ambience lead to the lad behind the goal reaching for a flag ?

http://www.thefreekick.com/board/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Was in Kilgraney House in Co Carlow yesterday - smashing food, the whole thing was a tad expensive but nice play to stay and the food was first class.

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]Tiger you should have prefaced that with a warning:

Keilys is not a recommendation nor is it a suitable venue for anyone who may or may not have arrived to this thread by way of another forum.[/quote]

ah feck off!http://www.thefreekick.com/board/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif Just go to the restraunt nobody says ya have to go to Kielys. Its not the type of place you’d be going every weekend or anything. good for birthdays and when theres a group.

[quote=“HangBlaa”]Firstly, to blow the trumpet of, in my opinion, the finest chef in the country, Paul Flynn of The Tannery in Dungarvan. It is top class, and Locke, Fran, or Rocko or anybody else looking to treat a lady companion, book the tannery townhouse and stay over… its smashing.

[/quote]

HB,

Have you tried The Banyan in Tramore yet?

Would highly recommend Fire at the Mansion House

[quote=“Fran”]
Have you tried The Banyan in Tramore yet?[/quote]

No… but putting 2 and 2 together, leads me to think that a relation / in-law of yours or something would be cooking up a storm out there. Something that was said to me over lunch a couple of months ago, but then again could be way off the mark. Haven’t heard a dicky bird about the place to be honest, however, my only journeys to the Dise in the last couple of months have been to or from hurling matches and follow on sessions.

However, what a fooking wierd name for a restaurant, as wikipedia via google leads to the following definition.

The Banyan is an organisation that cares for and rehabilitates homeless women with mental illness found in the streets of Chennai, India.

Aside, it seems kilkenny’s best restaurant by a fair bit, Zuni, is going to the wall… Fooking recession.

[quote=“HangBlaa”]No… but putting 2 and 2 together, leads me to think that a relation / in-law of yours or something would be cooking up a storm out there.
[/quote]

Correct, my sister and her husband (the chef) took over the lease about 2 months ago. Going well so far but in the run up to christmas you’d expect it to be busy. Would be interested to hear opinions good or bad if you come across anything. I’ve eaten there once and was very happy but of course I’m biased.

Apparently the name comes from a certain species of Fig tree.

Bad news about Zuni. Never ate there but heard good things about it.

Chapter One is still the best restaurant in Dublin according to the awards published today.

Richly deserved.

[quote=“The Runt, post: 159942”]
Vaughans in Liscannor Co. Clare, is one serious spot for the seafood. Definitely worth a visit if your ever in that part of the country, have had a couple of faultless meals there.
[/quote] ate in there recently. Very ordinary fare for the price. Staff were fine until a problem arose (40 mins for food to arrive had to go out to the car for pens and paper to keep the kids quiet) mentioned it to waitress, all apologies etc then a second older waitress arrived all attitude followed by a complete ignoramous of an owner. My advice is skip it. You will get better value in lahinch or a better meal in the wild honey in lisdoonvarna

That’s very disappointing to hear. Standards must have slipped in recent times, it’s 3 years since I ate there.

I haven’t been to Chapter One but hear the portions are very small. Location is also shit so the tucker must be fantastic.

I dined in FXB in Temple Bar on Saturday and would give it an 8 out of 10. Had a smashing 16oz T-Bone cooked perfectly medium rare and a lovely Rioja.

Only docked marks were they weren’t very attentive after the meal in terms of bringing us coffee and the bill.

I will update this thread regularly as I am very fond of eating out (ahoy).

Clarkey, I am not a big eater but I’ve never left Chapter One hungry. You’re on the money about the location though. Major drawback. You are not exactly going to wander in to any of the local hostelries a pre/post prandial drink.

What about The Gresham?