Tottenham Hotspur, the Ryan Mason variant

Was he not booked for dissent?

4 Likes

I donā€™t think heā€™s naive, far from it in fact, but heā€™s stubborn as fuck to keep playing the ultra high line with 9 men. There were times the back four had even pushed up into the Chelsea half when Chelsea had the ball with time & space. Cucurella being clean through after jogging from his own half onto Jamesā€™ chip over the 7 players in a line at halfway was madness. That could have been 7 or 8 only for Chelsea are completely dogshit.

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy texted me during the game to say it reminded him of Yokohamaā€™s chastening loss to Kashiwa Reysol back in 2018 & it actually reminded me of Celtic losing 4-0 at home to Bayer Leverkusen in Angeā€™s first season there. I know you keep a keen eye on the League of Scotland but you must wonder whether Levy plucked the wrong manager from north of the border when you see the compact & organised way Malky McKay set up his charges with 10 men at the Global Energy Stadium on Saturday.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s some real hidden managerial gems on the other side of Hadrians Wall in the League of Scotland. Just look at the job that one of our own, Stephen Robinson is doing with the Buddies.

2 Likes

Young guy just appointed by St Johnstone, Craig Levein, looks very progressive & one to watch too.

1 Like

https://x.com/georgeyboy/status/1721665435555299454?s=46

Klopp and Arteta could learn to conduct themselves with class of big Ange

2 Likes

Did he not berate the referee and officials?

1 Like

Ange is some leader. One of the best post game interviews Iā€™ve seen.

1 Like

Jesus, they were waiting a long long time for that :man_shrugging:

Little old Spurs have em wound up something rotten

2 Likes

euro 2016 conte GIF by Sporza

https://x.com/ollieholt22/status/1721673756064542821?s=46

1 Like

Emily Bishops young lad ainā€™t exactly an Oracle

Get well soon Pat.

Did Hotspurs not give Pat the flick when they thought he was past it and he went on to play for 8 more years for arch rivals Arsenal?

3 Likes

Yeah, but in fairness Spurs realised the mistake and took him back after the 8 years were up :man_shrugging:

Does anyone have him as a celebrity death?

I heard him in a clip on Morning Ireland this morning. Said that theyā€™d have a go with 5 men if they had to. Clearly unaware that the match would be abandoned and a forfeit awarded before then.

Weā€™d lost 3 of our starting back 4 so it felt a bit like the attitude when we went down to 9 was, we might as well have a cut at it because weā€™re inevitably going to concede. We did have 3 fairly decent chances to equalise and Son went very close to equalising as late as 94 minutes.

10 against 11, Iā€™d imagine we still would have beaten them as Chelsea are dogshit. Weā€™ve seen a few examples in recent weeks of 10 beating 11, Spurs at Kenilworth Road a few weeks ago and Glasgow Celtic at Meadowbank Thistle.

I couldnā€™t help thinking when our 9 men went close a few times from set pieces of a League of Scotland match back in the late 1980ā€™s when 9 man Glasgow Rangers came from 0-2 down to salvage a 2-2 draw against 10 man Glasgow Celtic with two ex Tottenham stalwarts to the fore. Graham Roberts ended up in goal after Chris Woods was sent off and Richard Gough got the equaliser.

Roberts had a go as an amateur music conductor while in goal after the equaliser if I remember correctly.

Celtic beat Rangers in the two remaining derby matches that season and won the double.

1 Like

Graham Roberts is one of my all time favourite Tottenham Hotspur players. A club legend.

Of the 2 subsequent games you referred to in that season, think Graham ended up in goal in the next game as well against Glasgow Celtic as Chris Woods had to go off injured with a few minutes left.

Now the dust has fully settled, Iā€™m absolutely certain weā€™ll win the league. Everywhere Ange goes, thereā€™s always one aberration of a game early in the reign where things go disastrously wrong. I referred to those Yokohama & Celtic humblings last night & @Horsebox sent me a PM to say there were also parallels to the famous Luke DeVere Brisbane Roar match. Seeing players still believing in his game plan & never deviating from it despite all that conversely brings everyone closer & makes them believe even more. Itā€™s almost cult like & Ange is a messianic figure.

1 Like