TV Rights, best avoided

As I said above they have merged with NTL to form UPC and they will offer the same packages soon. I read that October was the expected date for the lineups to be identical but I don’t know how reliable that information was. No point in doing anything until then.

Apologies rock i didn’t see your post before mine which clarified matters. looks like the best option is to wait until october though that means i’ll miss a good lot of vuelta which i really wanted to catch.

Can’t you see Vuelta on $ky in the meantime?

Has anyone heard of these digi boxes that give you eveything for free inc ppv events, literally everything for just a one off payment for the box?

I can see some of it but I’ll miss most of it due to work and was looking to get NTL PVR so I could watch it when I got home.

Heard about those boxes alright Flano. I know a few people who told me they were getting them but haven’t heard any reports back yet. I know the codes are changed around once in a while to mess with the boxes but usually you can then find out how to update your box online.

A mate of mine has one.Absolutely loves it. Reckons it’s fantastic. I think it was about 250e. Only problem is the sheer volume of channels. He got it of a sparky on a site he was working on, says they’re everywhere.

got one - was away so havent set it up-paid 150 for it-you get Celtic Tv on it

you can get them on ebay

It sounds like the business to me but Im always dubious about these sort of things so Im looking for some impartial feedback on whether they are worth getting

Don’t really know what you mean by impartial in this context Flano.

Similarly I’ve just heard about these digi boxes too. I’ve heard about the code changing alright but apparently it’s fairly easy to circumnavigate. Word on the street is that it’s an inside job i.e. lads from NTL selling the codes. You would’ve thought that NTL would be working on their security so they’d be able to prevent the use of digi boxes in the future which would make me a little unwilling to invest.

Do these boxes give you multi room viewing or do you need one per television?

What I meant by impartial was, the only people Ive spoken to about these boxes are the people who are trying to sell them to me. Im looking to hear from people who own one already

I was offered one by an employee of a well known provider of satellite tv stations when I ordered a sport package for the Ashes last winter. The guy arrived at the house and was all chat. He came in and sat down in the living room and noticed the place was littered with football jerseys and FHM magazines. He must have thought he could get a sell given what he dealing with because he said he had a proposition for me (no, not that type of one).

He told me he had a thing going on the side where he sold those boxes for 300eur. He said all it took was for me to ring up the provider and cancel the order of the package he was supposed to install. He was telling me he susses out the individual who has ordered the package before offering the box deal to them as he didn’t want anyone getting on to his company or he’d be sacked.

I was on ‘gardening leave’ from work at the time and couldn’t afford the upfront fee so the guy just installed the normal package and fooked off. I wish I could tell you all the name of the company but I’d fear for my personal safety if I did. By the way this is a true story - I’m Not Telling Lies.

as your a gypo flango im afraid i cant give you any assistance- will be setting it up tomorrow so if any one else needs an impartial view of them let me know please

jog on

Hey Fingal Hoop, give me the scoop.

Babba yabba ho!

Was talking to my sister last night and she said that NTL had cut her connection off. They were two days late in paying their bill. When her husband rang up he was told that they’d have to pay a reconnection fee and two months’ bills in advance. So he told them to fook off and they’re getting Sky in now. What an absolutle disgrace NTL/Chorus/UPC are. Wish there was more competition in the sector.

I picked up one of those digi boxes. Class stuff free ppv, setanta, sky, everything including free adult art channels :slight_smile:

On the off chance there may be some Celtic fans on here Im currently watching a documentary about the 1967 european cup win. Seems to be a decent station. While over on rangers channel a programme is on called “humbling the hoops”.

Flano wrote:

On the off chance there may be some Celtic fans on here Im currently watching a documentary about the 1967 european cup win. Seems to be a decent station. While over on rangers channel a programme is on called “humbling the hoops”.

Was that docu on Celtic TV or ESPN Flano?

Are the Shane Warne / Willie Thorne channels any good?

It was on Celtic tv.

Only have two of the Shane Warne / Wille Thorne channels. Bit of light entertainment when there’s nothing on

This is horrible news - TV3 do nothing well in my opinion.

RTE has lost the exclusive rights to screen the most prominent sporting championship in the country for the first time in the station’s history.

Rivals TV3 were celebrating last night after it was confirmed the smaller commercial station had secured the rights to screen 30 GAA championship matches between 2008 and 2010.

While Setanta Sports and TG4 have shown league and club games before, this will be the first time that the championship games will not be screened on RTE.

GAA officials are currently carving up the rights of who will broadcast championship and league matches for the three seasons.

Earlier this week, GAA president Nickey Brennan said no new TV deal for the GAA’s championship package would be announced this side of Christmas.

TV3 has secured one of five exclusive live TV packages for the championship which gives it the right to screen 10 games in each season.

Although the exact matches which TV3 has under its belt have not been decided, they will include two provincial finals, either hurling or football.

The rest of the matches will be comprised of provincial semi-finals and qualifiers for the football championship.

The news will come as another bodyblow to RTE Sport which recently lost out on the right to screen the rugby world cup to both Setanta Sport and TV3.

RTE lost out in the bidding for the world cup to Setanta who had ‘free to air’ channel TV3 as partners.

Last night a statement from RTE said the national broadcaster was “disappointed” with the decision of the GAA.

In all, 25 packages of broadcasting rights were put forward by the GAA for the league and championship, including TV, radio, internet and foreign coverage.

The remaining four live championship TV packages are still up for grabs with the decision not yet made on who will screen 120 games over three years, including the All Ireland final each year.

Yesterday, commercial director of TV3 Pat Kiely said the GAA had been a target for the station and they intended on bidding for further games.

“The significance from our point of view is that we are guaranteed live coverage of the GAA on the channel for the next three years,” said Mr Kiely.

“It is the first time we have ever got it, it is the first time live championship action will be shown outside of RTE.”

He refused to comment on how much TV3 had bid for the package of games.

What games the station will broadcast will be pinned down after all of the lucrative packages have been decided in the coming weeks.

In this round of bids, RTE has secured three sets of radio broadcast rights and one for ‘video-on-demand’.

“RTE has secured four of the eight packages allocated by the GAA so far,” said a statement from the national broadcaster.

"We are disappointed with the GAA’s decision on the allocation of the ‘Live TV Rights package III’.

"However, only 30 out of the 150 games have been allocated yet. None of the games from the top two packages have been decided upon.

“Until negotiations are completed on all packages, we will not be making any further comment.”

TV3 executives were told of the decision on Wednesday night.