TV Rights, best avoided

The GGA are in terminal decline. Stick hurling has been stuck in the same stagnant cesspool for over 100 years and will never be able to climb out of it.

If it wasn’t for the Dubs football would be the same. The GGA hierarchy have squandered every advantage handed to them by ignorant Muldoons in the government. Yet despite this financial doping the GGA cannot compete with the popularity of soccer in this island.

2 Likes

Agreed. Most of em probably hadn’t even heard of Dundalk this time last year

GAA is dying. The product is dreadful. About 8 teams competitive over both codes. We had it good for a long time, so we shouldn’t complain. Best of luck to Ireland newest doyen of a sport, MMA.

1 Like

The facts speak for themselves. Regardless of how good or bad the product is, the structure of the championship is all wrong. The advent of the qualifiers meant that a provincial title was of little significance to teams with series AI ambitions.
A prime example of this was this year’s Munster Hurling final which attracted an attendance of a little over 27k

the product is woeful

Conditions on the day were a factor

I accept that. But 27k is woeful bad for a Munster final. The Limerick Clare match in 96 had an attendance of over 43k
In 2015 there was just over 19k

Sure that was in the Golden Age of hurling, back when we re-invented the game the first time around. And twas always sunny back then too.

1 Like

Could do with something similar again. Bring back Ger

GGA roasters are more into Fantasy NFL now.

1 Like

Rugby also dying in Wales

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/welsh-rugby-clubs-dying-out-11823052.amp

And in South Africa

http://city-press.news24.com/Sport/super-rugby-faces-empty-stadiums-2016070

Even in New Zealand

Super Rugby is a flawed competition, you won’t hear me deny that. To link it back to the actual topic at hand somewhat, SANZAR are basically trying to self a bread and butter competition which is cross time zones. It is easier to follow Super Rugby in the U.K. and Ireland than it is in Australia.

I never considered the fact that TV3 got the rights to show British racing would mean RTE couldn’t . No Cheltenham or Aintree for them.

Never thought of that. Was always a bit of a shit production from RTE anyway. Great move for TV3.

1 Like

RTE do a good job of the Irish racing when they cover it. Plenty good irish meetings ITV or TV3 could cover themselves as well that RTE don’t look at.

Big miss from RTE here surely. Hardly cost TV3 that much and what else da fuq do rte have on a Saturday afternoon

TV3 owned by same company as ITV if I’m not mistaken so if RTE were bidding for the ITV feed they would have been charged a good chunk. Sure Ted fucked off to Channel 4’s Morning Line when Cheltenham was on!

Didn’t know owned by same company. Assume they are taking a direct feed from UTV and won’t be own production. I had visions of the final furlong crew getting the gig :smirk:

No they’re not owned by the same company. ITV sold up their TV3 stake 10 years ago. Liberty who TV3 outright do own 10% of ITV though.

I wonder do many watch racing on terrestrial TV like the used to. A huge percentage now watch racing in the pub (particularly Cheltenham), digital , in the bookies or satellite / C4. I wonder how much RTE thought it was worth.

I would always still watch the racing on C4 of a Saturday either live or recorded. Ditto when RTE show meetings. ATR and RUK grand for watching the race but v limited build up or post mortem on them usually as showing multiple meetings.

It’s full coverage like ITV will provide will bring in new viewers not the dedicated channels really.

Doubt TV3 will make a fortune out of the advertising slots tbh