TV Rights, best avoided

That’s no doubt part of it as well. Certainly was for Sexton when he decided he’d had enough of France.

And one of main reasons they can do that and stay competitive is because they don’t lose many second tier players like madigan. A few have gone. Madigan, Moore, Hanrahan but not that many. If they started leaving in droves, and they would be picking up plenty more cash, then the front liners need to play heaps more for clubs to stay competitive.

Again, the international association football calendar is structured differently to the international rugby calendar.

Six Nations games are as much social events as sporting ones and have always been that way. They are generally scheduled for weekend afternoons which is the most convenient time for people from far flung counties.

International association football games could be on any night of the week, eg. the Bosnia play-off was a Monday night which is extremely inconvenient if you’re not from the greater Dublin area.

Rugby can guarantee three Six Nations full houses in even numbered years and two in odd ones. Then you get your November test matches against the Southern Hemisphere teams in three of every four years.

For the FAI, odd numbered years will tend to be the bigger years as that’s when the qualification campaigns get serious. However, there’s always a chance the team could be out of contention as it was during 2007 for the Euros, and 2013 wasn’t much better.

In 2015, you had:
Poland
Scotland
Germany
Bosnia

All those were full houses.

There was also the friendly against England, another full house.

However international friendly games have effectively become glorified training sessions, which is not the FAI’s fault, and only England, maybe Brazil, Argentina or Germany would have any chance of filling Lansdowne Road for a friendly these days.

In 2016, there were only friendlies and one qualifier v fifth seed Georgia, which attracted 40k, not bad considering it was on a Thursday night.

For 2017, the Wales game sold out long ago, and Austria, Serbia and possibly Moldova (if there’s a prospect of qualification) will be sell outs. Then there’s a possible play-off which would also be a sell-out if it happens.

While club football has no doubt damaged the international game to a certain extent (this hasn’t happened in rugby), World Cup qualification is still a prize that excites the national Irish public more than anything else. All-Irelands excite particular counties in the way nothing else can. Bar winning a World Cup, which in all likelihood will never happen, rugby will never be able to offer the same excitement or genuine emotional thrill to a mass audience.

What’s the story with getting Eir sports. I don’t have sky sports and want to get eir. Can i purchase it for a few months or do I have to get the whole S sports package.

Who is your internet provider?

Sky unfortunately. I detest eir/ eircom/ telecom Eireann so it would kill my to give them the entire BB business.

You get Eir/Bt sports free with Eir broadband, mate.

I know but they’ve treated me poorly before and it currently stands Brimmer 2. Eir 1 and I want to keep it that way. I done them over nicely years ago and don’t want to give them the chance to get back level.

Well there you go so. Enjoy Sky, pal.

I googleised it and discovered I can pay €18 per month to purchase it through my sky deal. ( March & April offer of €14 per month).

what the fuck is this shit?

The ratings tell a different story.

Ireland in the RWC delivered similar ratings to Ireland at the Euros.

The England game was 43k, btw.

By similar do you mean less ?

2 Likes

I see Box Nation is now part of the Eir Sports package

1 Like

Worth knowing thanks .

Some more, some less

Just in case anyone is short of something to do paddys night eir sport are broadcasting live the Anthony Foley tribute game

1 Like

Are 15 Anthonys taking to the pitch?

Thanks but we will be celebrating an amazing week following the action st Prestbury park and sure won’t be that short of something to do.

3e are showing Germany-England live now and are taking commentary from ITV.