Tv Shows & Mini Series (Part 1)

Finished ‘Endeavour’ finally. Good to see the Brits are still making these kinds of crime shows. It has that slow pacing and that willingness to let scenes breathe that you rarely see in American TV shows not named ‘The Wire’ or ‘Mad Men’. At also has that rare quality of providing well formed characters with very little screen time. I presumed it was a fairly niche program so was surprised to see the first episode of S4 got 7 million viewers. Suppose Morse was fairly popular though.

Not really mate.

Have you watched line of duty

1 Like

No mate, any good? Might have had my fill of crime dramas at this stage. Never bothered finishing ‘Luther’ and slogging my way through ‘Sherlock’ S4 right now.

Also about to finish ‘Harlots’ and ‘Arrow’ (S1) - both entertaining if nothing to write home about.

I think it’s very good yeah. Follows anti corruption unit investigating other cops. Usual BBC production well written with decent performances. Much better than most of the shit on netflix

1 Like

Yes minister is top class. Amazing how pertinent it still is

2 Likes

Netflix’s ‘Castlevania’ is worth a look for any fans of the games or violent anime.

Top class show. My favourite comedy ever. The use of language is masterful.

Theres a full rerun of it on Yesterday at the moment

I’ve it saved on the sky box

1 Like

Two to look out for in the near future

Jason Bateman starring and partially directing some of the first season
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5hAXVqrljbs

This from the exec producer of The Wire
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l5sretAQ52o

1 Like

James Hacker: Well, obviously. It was the one question today to which I could give a clear, simple, straightforward, honest answer.
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Yes. Unfortunately, although the answer was indeed clear, simple and straightforward, there is some difficulty in justifiably assigning to it the fourth of the epithets you applied to the statement inasmuch as the precise correlation between the information you communicated and the facts insofar as they can be determined and demonstrated is such as to cause epistemological problems of sufficient magnitude as to lay upon the logical and semantic resources of the English language a heavier burden than they can reasonably be expected to bear.
James Hacker: Epistemological? What are you talking about?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: You told a lie.

It’s just utter brilliance, possibly my favourite show. I watched this episode the other night, in stitches.

Watched the first episode there of a french/Belgian show called public enemy. On sky Atlantic forbpast few weeks. About a child serial killer after he gets out of prison. It’s based on a true story of Marc dutroux which was a big thing around the time I did my leaving. It’s decent show. It has the living shit spooked out of me though

1 Like

I watched the first season of ‘Line of Duty’ - you can see they skimped on the budget, but its fairly entertaining. Has a great, if somewhat underused, cast.

Was a huge hit so I’d say they got a bigger budget for next series. Cracking story.

Vicki McClure is a great actress

Eh, I found her character fairly uninteresting. TBH I feel like they focused too much on Gates (although both his character and actor were excellent) and too little on the rest.

I’m also watching:

Harlots - finished a while back, very solid British period drama based on prostitution in London. Easy enough viewing, great cast as well.

Glow - Netflix comedy based on women wrestling in the 80s. Funny, well worth a look, some great writing and characters.

Preacher - kind of pointless go nowhere show but entertaining nonetheless. Ruth Negga is always great to watch, and the ‘Irish’ character is fairly funny. The lead is pretty meh and kind of miscast but its very enjoyable all the same.

Game of Thrones back tonight as well! :clap: @Bandage @Tassotti

2 Likes

Battle of the Bastards on Sky Atlantic now. What a lead in to tomorrow night :clap:

4 Likes

This is outstanding. I was up til all hours watching the whole thing. If you are not bothered by subtitles well worth a watch

2 Likes