Tv Shows & Mini Series (Part 1)

Soprano’s best tv show for me. Great clip there from Phil. Episode where Tony and Paulie are in forest that is referenced in that clip is best hour of television I have probably seen.
Got Series Three of The Wire out a couple of weeks back after hearing great things about it. Found it quite disappointing. All the episodes seemed a bit too similar and some of the characters were a bit cliqued I thought. Was watchable all right but little let down after all I heard. How does series three compare to the other series Phil?

The first 4series of 24 were the best tv show I have ever seen period. I could not stop watching it and even had to make the trip into town one saturday for the sole purpose of buying the follow on boxset to the series I was watching as the story ran into the next series.
The last series of it was shit though, I was so disappointed but I guess that type of series cannot stay fresh that long as it’s normally the same storyline every series as in terrorist attacks etc.

The Shield is top class, I’ve watched series 1to6 and there wasn’t a bad episode in any of them, great boxset viewing.

There was a series called Teachers on a few years ago, I only saw about 7 episodes and they were all hilarious. Basically a bunch of teachers that all work in the same school and go beering together afterwards/end up riding each other/disgrace themselves…etc.etc

[quote=“larryduff”]Soprano’s best tv show for me. Great clip there from Phil. Episode where Tony and Paulie are in forest that is referenced in that clip is best hour of television I have probably seen.
Got Series Three of The Wire out a couple of weeks back after hearing great things about it. Found it quite disappointing. All the episodes seemed a bit too similar and some of the characters were a bit cliqued I thought. Was watchable all right but little let down after all I heard. How does series three compare to the other series Phil?[/quote]

I would not really recommend in starting to watch the show from Series 3. Primarily due to the fact that the plot and character development grows slowly over the first 2 seasons and many of the mentions to the Barksdales drug operation and other issues would require some knowledge from the previous years. Definately my favourite season was series 4 followed by 1,3 and 2. Not bothering to watch 5 on TG4 as its out on DVD in a few weeks and wait wait till then.

[quote=“balloobasluvsbeer”]

There was a series called Teachers on a few years ago, I only saw about 7 episodes and they were all hilarious. Basically a bunch of teachers that all work in the same school and go beering together afterwards/end up riding each other/disgrace themselves…etc.etc[/quote]

Yeah the first 2 seasons of Teachers were very funny I thought. Basically regular "blokes in their late 20’s trying to teach in a secondary school in England.

Comedy, and a fucking brilliant one. Ari and Johnny Drama are the best things ever, and there is some serious ass in it.

Eric is a cunt.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Comedy, and a fucking brilliant one. Ari and Johnny Drama are the best things ever, and there is some serious ass in it.

Eric is a cunt.[/quote]

Ari Gold is one of the best characters on tv…

I have never been biten by the TV series bug in anyway since I perved on Terri Hatcher in Lois and Clark about ten years ago. Still watch that every now and again on TV3 or whatever and I think it’s actually very underrated.

I have seen a few Sorpranos and liked them but I want to devote some time to watching them from the first series to the finish. But I’m a very lazy man…

The Avengers or was it The New Avengers…classic stuff.

Dexter, Sunday nights on FX. About a serial killer who kills other murders. Dark comedy. I never miss it

[quote=“Phil Leotardo”]I suppose if I make an effort to watch tv series I go for the grrtty but well written well acted often complex shows so its The Wire for me. Essential box set viewing. A second after The Sopranos of course but nothing I have seen even comes close to these two.

Band of Brothers was class alright.

The popcorn shows such as Prison Break, Lost, CSI, 24 while entertaining in parts just don’t hold my attention anymore. For escapism I stick to comedy box sets…Seinfeld, Curb, The Office,etc,etc.

I have being highly recommended a show called “Weeds”. Anyone seen it?[/quote]
Weeds, just after watchin series 1 and 2, highly recommend it, dialogue a lot funnier in 2nd series which augurs well for series 3+. Any more of you crazy cats into this? Some funny shit…

Aw Weeds is one of the best out there.

I’m currently searching fro some new shows again, I’m test driving United States of Tara, Dollhouse, and a few others, I’ll report back when I know more.

Lost is pulling me back in again, Heroes has lost me, but I’m still watching out of curiousity.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Aw Weeds is one of the best out there.

I’m currently searching fro some new shows again, I’m test driving United States of Tara, Dollhouse, and a few others, I’ll report back when I know more.

Lost is pulling me back in again, Heroes has lost me, but I’m still watching out of curiousity.[/quote]

Lost is confusing the shite out of me at the moment but thank god its the second last series so the whole thing will actually come to an end. Its almost out of annoyance that I’m watching it now.

Sayid on LSD was funny mind you.

I gave up on Lost once I discovered The Wire. I am sure Lost is still fairly decent entertainment but I really think they are just winging a bit at this stage by continually adding sub-plots to keep the viewer interested.

Weeds is a decent show alright with some classic characters. I love your man Doug - gas lad. HBO/Showtime programmes like these would or will never have made it on to the regular US TV networks.

Have heard so many great things about The Wire, might get around to it sometime, but just not yet, not really a cop show fan anyway, but have heard its more than that.

Might give Boston Legal a run at some point too, The Shat always deserves a look in.

Few more shows coming out of the States lately, must have a look in and see if I can recommend anything.

Cant get much better than prison break, 24 is quite good too.

BBC2 are showing The Wire from the very beginning starting tonight at 11:20pm (after Newsnight), and each weeknight from now on at the same time. Never really seen it so will have a look.

Thanks for that Sid, I might have a goosey at it and see how it shapes up.

Who said Prison Break? First season was good tv, awful bucket of shite now.

Bought the full boxset of the Wire, still waiting on delivery.
Thanks BBC

[quote=“myboyblue”]Thanks for that Sid, I might have a goosey at it and see how it shapes up.

Who said Prison Break? First season was good tv, awful bucket of shite now.[/quote]

Well worth Watching lads (the wire). Finished the lot there not so long ago. Season 1, 4 and 5 are top quality.