Twice as many baskeballers than hurlers in Dublin

i heard this statistic recently
shocking stuff for the GGA - the HDCC has its work cut out but it does feed into my rural game theory

[quote=“north county corncrake”]i heard this statistic recently
shocking stuff for the GGA - the HDCC has its work cut out but it does feed into my rural game theory[/quote]

Hurling was never really big in Dublin anyway! I’d like to see statistics for GAA football v soccer.

GGA football wouldnt do too bad- id say there would be more GGA footballers than basketballers

At least 2 or 3 more anyway!

Kudos Ben. I liked that one

Before we go any further, what does GGA stand for tubbsy?

gaelic games association

[quote=“north county corncrake”]i heard this statistic recently
shocking stuff for the GGA - the HDCC has its work cut out but it does feed into my rural game theory[/quote]

Is this stat taking into account underage hurlers and basketballers or only those over a certain age? Huge amount of of underage hurlers in Dublin, possibly 2nd only to soccer in some areas. Perhaps the follow on into adulthood may not be as strong as in other areas. Shocked to hear basketball would be higher though, would be very interested to hear where the stat came from and what is there to back it up.

twice as many over 15’s upwards playing basketball as hurling in Dublin - stats come from the CSO which backs up the recent ESRI reports

Fair enough, stands to reason about it from 14 up, just not the staying power in the sport in Dublin. Throw in the fact that basketball is a huge sport for females (which I presume are included in this report and it isnt a male only figure?) then this would back up the stat reasonably well.

yes- report is for both sexes

Then that would go a long way to explaining it. I would imagine Basketball to be the number one sport for women in Ireland, let alone Dublin.

Basketball is a sport though. Hurling is a game.

trout tickling is more of a sport than stick stick

Are knitting and basket weaving not more popular sports for women than basketball?

I’m curious as to the difference?

as am I…

How many hurlers are there? None. None of them can claim to be a “Hurler.” Granted they play the game. How many basketballers are there? Well just look at www.nba.com these guys are basketballers.
Lets consider a loan application and what these two sets of people would put under Occupation?

have you anything to back this statement up with…proof of this or even a logical reason or theory…

[quote=“Flano”]How many hurlers are there? None. None of them can claim to be a “Hurler.” Granted they play the game. How many basketballers are there? Well just look at www.nba.com these guys are basketballers.
Lets consider a loan application and what these two sets of people would put under Occupation?[/quote]

your an idiot flano…sure there are plenty of fella’s on here that play the likes of golf and soccer(myself included)…i certainly wouldnt be putting either under my occupation…thats a very flawed logic you have…