Tyrone 2019

McCarron/Fergus surely got barebacked by a few ladyboys out there

I’d say he was up to his guts in it.

8 point win over UUJ today as we look to win back the McKenna Cup.

1 N Morgan.

2 L Rafferty

3 HP McGeary

4 C McLaughlin

5 B McDonnell

6 R Brennan

7 P Harte

8 C. Grugan

9 B. Kennedy.

10 N Sludden.

11 C McCann

12 R Gray

13 D. Mulgrew

14 C. McShane

15 R O’Neill

16 B Gallen

17 D Canavan

18 M Cassidy

19 K Coney

20 D McClure

21 A McCrory

22 R Sludden

McKenna Cup Final will be either in Omagh or Armagh with a coin toss to take place tomorrow.

Might try and get along to it myself this year. I’ve been hearing rave reviews about the performance of Brian Kennedy and he could be a huge addition next year. He will give us some real physicality in the the side which we do lack a bit of.

Coney seems to have settled back in very well and from what I’ve heard and read his attitude has been great and he’s been working his socks off which is certainly where many felt he was lacking in his first stint with the county. He has been playing at 11 so it will be interesting to see how that works out, he has serious talent in him.

Grugan is another one who has been doing very well, again a good physical presence in the middle of the pitch and I think both himself and Kennedy are big upgrades on the likes of Conall McCann and McClure.

Liam Rafferty is another player who has done extremely well so all in all I think we are in a good place coming into the season.

My worry would be the inside forward options, they are all fairly similar in style and stature and we’ve lost Mark Bradley (although McCurry is back) this year. They seem to have struggled so far this year and an 18 year old Darragh Canavan has probably been the most impressive of those who have played in the inside forward line so far. That being said I don’t think those lads are suited to winter football.

Lots of healthy competition for places as we have not seen the likes of McNamee, Hampsey, Kieran McGeary, Tiernan McCann, McAliskey, Colm Cavanagh or Mattie Donnelly in 2019 yet. I reckon some of them will be rolled out next week with the league starting the following week with a trip to Kerry and I would suspect the winner of that game will meet Dublin in the league final.

Paudie McNulty has left the panel. With Kennedy and Grugan there this year it was likely to impact his game time.

I’m pretty happy with the shape of the squad this year.

I thought Coney showed some real moments of class when he came on, he can play those long raking foot passes like few can in our side. Kennedy was missing tonight and I’d say he will be a big player for us this season.

We’re a bit light in the inside forward positions at the minute, with Bradley gone and McAliskey still recovering from a long term injury we are currently light there. McCurry did ok tonight and we should have Brennan back next weekend so that will give us another option.

Hampsey and Colm Cavanagh played no part in the McKenna Cup so not sure if they were given a rest or are carrying injuries at present. I’d go with the following XV for the trip to Kerry next weekend:

1. Morgan
  2. McKernan
  3. McNamee
  4. Rafferty
  5. McCann
  6. R Brennan
  7. C Meyler
  8. Kennedy
  9. McClure
  10. Sludden
  11. Coney
  12. M Donnelly
  13. McCurry
  14. Harte
  15. McShane

Kerry have yet to play a game this season and seem to be without a lot of players so anything other than a win next weekend would be a disappointment.

Would there be many criminal records?

Probably less than the Galway hurling panel I’d assume.

Checkmate.

:joy: Well done.
I’ll edit that I’m hoping the galway hurling panel have zero convictions this year, but pick up a few if we play limerick, Cark or kk

Baby Jesus on down in Killarney. Tyrone trail by 3 with about 15 minutes remaining.

He looks more like pascal than Peter. Just sayin

There will be a lot of expectation and pressure on the son of Peter Canavan as he attempts to make the grade with Tyrone - which inevitably means plenty of pascals.

I wonder what @Cicero_Dandi 's dispassionate assessment of him is.

I think Canavan Jr has all the talent and toughness to make it but its a different game now and there too many hop forwards about in today’s game of his stature.

I don’t really understand the need to fast track him into the senior ranks though. I’d rathered he had stayed with the u20s for the next two years before introducing him to the seniors.

I think we are in a bit of bother without Mark Bradley and McAliskey at the minute. I don’t think McCurry, Brennan, O’Neill and Darragh Canavan is going to cut it right now. I can see an SOS being sent for Bradley in the summer.

|1|Niall Morgan|Éadan na dTorc|
|2|Michael McKernan|Oileán a’Ghuail|
|3|Ronan McNamee|Achadh UĂ­ ArĂĄin|
|4|Hugh Pat McGeary|Cabhán a’Chaortainn|
|5|Tiernan McCann|Coill an Chlochair|
|6|Rory Brennan|TrĂ­ Leac|
|7|Peter Harte|Aireagal ChiarĂĄin|
|8|Brian Kennedy|Doire Lochain|
|9|Declan McClure|Cluain Eo|
|10|Matthew Donnelly|TrĂ­ Leac|
|11|Niall Sludden|An Droim MhĂłr|
|12|Kieran McGeary|Cabhán a’Chaortainn|
|13|Darren McCurry|Éadan na dTorc|
|14|Cathal McShane|E. R. UĂ­ NĂ©ill|
|15|Lee Brennan|TrĂ­ Leac|
|16|Benny Gallen|Achadh UĂ­ ArĂĄin|
|17|Frank Burns|Cabhán a’Chaortainn|
|18|Kyle Coney|Ard BĂł|
|19|Conan Grugan|An Ómaigh|
|20|Conal McCann|Coill an Chlochair|
|21|Aidan McCrory|Aireagal ChiarĂĄin|
|22|Ben McDonnell|Aireagal ChiarĂĄin|
|23|Ciaran McLaughlin|An Ómaigh|
|24|Conor Meyler|An Ómaigh|
|25|Ronan O’Neill|An Ómaigh|
|26|Liam Rafferty|An Gallbhaile|

Two changes, Mulgrew and Rafferty drop out - Kieran McGeary and Lee Brennan come in.

Frank Burns and Ronan O’Neill return to match squad with no Mulgrew or Darragh Canavan named. I think common sense should prevail with Canavan, he’s 18 and at the minute way too slight for senior county football, it certainly won’t do him much harm being part of the senior squad right now but I don’t think he’s at a position to be playing games - I hope he is released to the u20s after the league.

Still no Hampsey or Colm Cavanagh.

Would be nice to see McCurry hitting that kind of form again. He’s a lovely finisher when he has his confidence going.

Where’s Fergus McCarron?

Had knee surgery last year.

1 Niall Morgan Éadan na dTorc
2 Michael McKernan Oileán a’Ghuail
3 Ronan McNamee Achadh UĂ­ ArĂĄin
4 Hugh Pat McGeary Cabhán a’Chaortainn
5 Tiernan McCann Coill an Chlochair
6 Rory Brennan TrĂ­ Leac
7 Peter Harte Aireagal ChiarĂĄin
8 Brian Kennedy Doire Lochain
9 Declan McClure Cluain Eo
10 Matthew Donnelly TrĂ­ Leac
11 Niall Sludden An Droim MhĂłr
12 Kieran McGeary Cabhán a’Chaortainn
13 Darren McCurry Éadan na dTorc
14 Cathal McShane E. R. UĂ­ NĂ©ill
15 Lee Brennan TrĂ­ Leac
16 Benny Gallen Achadh UĂ­ ArĂĄin
17 Frank Burns Cabhán a’Chaortainn
18 Kyle Coney Ard BĂł
19 Conan Grugan An Ómaigh
20 Conal McCann Coill an Chlochair
21 Aidan McCrory Aireagal ChiarĂĄin
22 Ben McDonnell Aireagal ChiarĂĄin
23 Ciaran McLaughlin An Ómaigh
24 Conor Meyler An Ómaigh
25 Ronan O’Neill An Ómaigh
26 Liam Rafferty An Gallbhaile

Same starting XV and subs bench as named last week for Roscommon, not a chance that team will start though. McShane missed out with injury last week so he could be unavailable again, Brian Kennedy had to go off after 33 minutes for UUJ so I’d imagine he will also miss out. Hampsey was a late addition to the team last week and I would suspect he will start.

McCurry was absolutely pathetic last week and I don’t think he should start but we have no real alternatives in that forward line, I don’t think we can afford to have both him and Brennan in the same team, it’s one or the other. Brennan is not much more reliable,

I think there will be a response this weekend, league games are generally won by the hungrier team and what I saw last week from Tyrone was a side that didn’t really want to know about it against a hungry Mayo side eager to impress their new boss.

Think we could do with a bit of a target man in the forward line at the minute, the likes of Loughran, R Donnelly and McShane could offer something there but I don’t think they are available at present. Would also hope to see Coney on the 40 from the start. Petey Harte will probably continue in the forward line but that’s due to a lack of convincing options inside, it’s not his best position and while he was one of the few players who really put a shift in last week, he looked a player extremely low on confidence.

We should have enough to see off Roscommon if we turn up and put in an honest effort but the worries in the inside forward line are a worry. I’d have to question Mickey Harte if Conall McCann gets another chance,