Tyrone 2020

Iā€™m sure weā€™ve all broken the speed limits at some point.

1 Like

170kph in a 100km zone is a bit excessive mind you

100mph in a 60mph zone roughly. Not awfully bad, Iā€™d have done it before myself. Maybe Cathal got confused between his speed clock in mph and the road signs in kph, it happens me from time to time.

Probably took his eyes off the gauge for a second, can easily happen.

Is there many 100mph road signs up North?

2 Likes

Not at all. I was merely posing a question.

It would be quite the surprise if he didnā€™t get a year ban minimum for that. Unless they can find something that was procedurally incorrect of course.

Why would that be quite surprising?

Sure donā€™t you only get 3 months off the road for drink driving and trying to evade capture in the 26?

As I said, your obsession with this is quite bizarre.

What obsession?

Youā€™re obviously unaware that if you are convicted of dangerous driving, you could be fined up to ā‚¬5000, or be sent to prison for up to 6 months, or both.

You have about 10 posts on here about a lad getting put off the road. Iā€™d call that an obsession.

Bizarre laws to have when you can get behind the wheel of a car drunk and try and evade police capture and only receive a 3 month disqualification without a court appearance for it and getting jailed for speeding, I think you might agree.

Nah Iā€™ve about three and the other were in normal conversation with people asking questions.

Youā€™re not really fooling anyone.

Maybe get the abacus out.

Was it his accelerating ankle?
I reckon Micky will be in court telling them what a lovely fella he is, and how he couldnā€™t brake properly on the bad leg. Heā€™ll get three decades of the rosary in place of a ban, and a bonesetter will magically fix it just in time if they need him in the championship.

THE Tyrone puzzle has been missing a massive Conor McKenna-shaped piece right out of the middle, but is it the only one thatā€™s been lost the last while?

The 24-year-old speedsterā€™s announcement yesterday that, after six years and 79 games with Essendon, his long-awaited move home will be a reality within the next week as he prepares to board the plane.

It is expected that he will step straight into the Tyrone setup for this yearā€™s championship. There appears to be no good reason why he wouldnā€™t. Itā€™s not as if heā€™ll have a conditioning gap, unless itā€™s at the other end and heā€™s that far ahead of his team-mates.

There will be the readjustment period to Gaelic football as a sport, having spent the last six years playing a game that was played in a different language that he could speak effortlessly.

Conor McKenna never really seemed to love the AFL and never seemed to love Australia. Every few months, thereā€™d be some declaration of his intention to come home and play for Tyrone.

He never made any secret of the fact that homesickness ate at him throughout his time, and yet he will be remember as one of the most brilliant, most impactful exports Ireland has ever given to the AFL.

Since kicking a debut goal at the MCG against Richmond just shy of five years ago, he progressed rapidly to play 79 games for the club, putting him seventh on the all-time list of Irish players.

He would surely have surpassed Setanta Ɠ hƁilpin (88), the great Sean Wight (150) and Pearce Hanley (150) had he stuck at it, and would have moved into the company of Jim Stynes, Tadhg Kennelly and Zach Tuohy as the greatest Irish AFL players.

Quality wise, he belongs in that category, but longevity was always going to be an issue. And when he found himself at the heart of a coronavirus storm that led to a vicious media battering earlier this year, the timeline of the move home jumped forward again.

Speaking earlier this year to Teamtalk, he had said: "I went to the All-Ireland final a couple of years ago and it was one of hardest things I had to do, sitting there and seeing them play.

"Just the chance that they could win, and you would not play would be heart-breaking; I would have had to live with that.

ā€œI have made sacrifices to play in Australia. The Under-21s won an All-Ireland (2015) and I missed that too but it is always there in the near future that I can come back home and play with Eglish and get back on the Tyrone panel if I can.ā€

He is only 24. Of Tyroneā€™s 2013 All-Ireland minor final side, of which McKenna was a key part, only Frank Burns and David Mulgrew are currently with the Tyrone squad.

The dynamism and pace to be his countyā€™s answer to Jack McCaffrey is there. It seems almost certain that he will play at either wing-back or wing-forward, but when he will be ready to play is another matter.

If he lifted him from Dublin Airport, Mickey Harte probably couldnā€™t get McKenna into his squad any quicker than he will. But he has had knocks and niggles, and this yearā€™s championship may come that little bit soon in terms of readjusting.

Next year, though, he could be a proper weapon.

Whether it is Harte who has the opportunity to use him remains to be seen. His contract is running down and the feeling is that, fairly or not, he will need a good championship this year (if one happens) to earn another extension.

A trip to Ballybofey for a straight knockout first round game may not be conducive, and it may be a platform.

New viewers of the recent club championship ties on TV will have seen what those with eyes on Tyrone have long known ā€“ there is a depth of quality in the county that few others can match.

Lee Brennan has stood out for Trillick but Harte has given him chances. His left foot can make a football dance but there were never any question marks about that. Itā€™s about whether he can win enough of his own ball at the very top end.

The same applies to Ronan Oā€™Neill, who appeared leaner and sharper and fitter when he turned out for Omagh this summer than at any time in recent years. If he can find ways to make it stick, his ability will do the rest.

Defensively, Tyrone will look well set upon his return. Slotting him in at wing-back would mean you could be looking at Paudie Hampsey and Ronan McNamee as out-and-out, full-time man-markers in the full-back line.

Rory Brennan can do the tagging jobs, Frank Burns can sweep and then you have Tiernan McCann, Michael McKernan, Hugh Pat McGeary and the like of Conall Grimes coming through.

Really, is the biggest issue midfield?

Right back to the three All-Ireland winning teams, Tyrone have not been associated with natural midfielders, but a lot of the square pegs have done manful jobs in round holes.

Colm Cavanagh may have this year, he may have next year too, but the curtain is dropping. And when he goes, who steps in?

Richie Donnelly has made overtures at a spot and is one of the teamā€™s best kick-passers, but his injury problems have held him on a leash.

Look at the teams around them in the upper tier. Dublin, Mayo, Galway, Kerry, none of them are short of fielders, albeit the latter do have an incoming crash in the form of David Moranā€™s eventual retirement.

Tyrone have always relied on something a bit different around the middle, but there donā€™t appear to be any ready-made replacement for when Colm Cavanagh does hang the boots up.

Conor McKenna is a huge part of the jigsaw, but heā€™s not the only part.

Has this lad suddenly found a job and a new car?

Heā€™s a real pro

I think the Tyrone v Donegal match is the All Ireland final in all but name.

The Dubs arenā€™t interested at all at all.

Kerry wonā€™t have their homework done and Mayo are Mayo.

Tyrone havenā€™t a hope this year. 2021 will be the target with McShane back and McKenna up to speed.

The winner of the Tyrone Donegal match will also likely have to beat both Monaghan and Armagh so to win the AI from that route they are going to have to beat 5 2021 Div 1 teams.

A failed professional returning back to Oireland to play a hobby, is what Tyrone and whomever wrote this article are giddy about? Odd.

McKenna was a success. Heā€™s chosen to come home.