U-21 Hurling 2018

No point dragging KK and Galway to Cork

Unlikely.Thurles wonā€™t give it up easily and the stone throwers are well got in Croke Park.

I thought he lined out at corner back against DIT(?) in Walsh Cup alright.

There wasnā€™t much point in dragging tipp Clare there either.

Typical. Iā€™m home from 11-18th

I donā€™t think the Cork crowd (or Frank) will be too bothered about hosting a match like that, a smaller, fuller venue would be far better anyway although this wonā€™t happen.

Cork sent home with their (Barryā€™s) tae in a mug. No one from Limerick getting overconfident for the next game. Happy days!

Thought Coleman was MOTM last night to be honest.

Had an uncanny ability to be in the right place all the time. Mopped up a world of breaks. Good distributor too, always seemed to make the right choice whether the hand pass, solo or play it through the Hurley.

Poor enough u-21 championship this year really. Tipp and Clare weak, not much between Limerick, Cork and Waterford. Leinster championship was fairly mundane too Bar the Viking in goal for Westmeath.

Hopefully sense prevails and Limerick - Galway goes to Ennis. Suffering Thurles overkill at this stage.

1 Like

Coleman was clearly different class last night, Lynch had a decent game but if you had never seen any of those players before youā€™d pick Coleman as MOTM every time.
The game was made for Fitzgibbon though, heā€™d have caused havoc like against Waterford

Corkā€™s lack of discipline killed them this year.

Lynch wasnā€™t as obviously outstanding as he was in the first 20 minutes against Clare, where he destroyed them; but he was very good in a different way last night. There have been people critical of his work rate & his tendency to do something fancy rather than something effective but that was not the case last night.

He worked his socks off, covered a huge amount of ball and the amount of ball that he got into his hand that he had no right to was very impressive. The speed of his wrists, I donā€™t think there is anyone else in the county that can do that on the same level. I donā€™t think we would have won without him last night.

Grimes was excellent aswell; Malachy had a period where he was totally dominant, then was a bit quieter but came back into it. Would be interested to look back and see how many times he got on the ball between the 20th and 50th minute. Sean Finn could have done better for the goal, but did well in general. Hayes covers the backline well, reads it and is safeā€¦ no better man to make sure that the back comes out with the ball. At the same time, he got hooked & blocked when clearing and hit a few bad clearances too. As the free man, you canā€™t really do that and I expect better from him.

Mackey had a couple of bad wides, I would have Murphy back in for him. Morrissey never really got going, I think heā€™s a lot more effective at centre-forward than at full-forward. But then we left Paudie Ahern inside at times and while heā€™s very fast, heā€™s so small and easily knocked off the ball. Nash had a disastrous first half and also had a couple of bad wides, but did create our one real goal chance when he handpassed off to Morrissey. I thought he was decent in the second half. Gillane was alright, and Casey didnā€™t look right at all, presumably down to the injury.

Would worry that we didnā€™t really know to combat the sweeper, kinda played into Corkā€™s hands. Iā€™m guessing Kilkenny wonā€™t do that, but Galway might. Lessons to be learned, improvements need to be made.

1 Like

Also, the Cork number 11 was very lucky not to be sent off.

1 Like

It was tough on Fitzgibbon, Iā€™d be surprised if there wa an ounce of malice in that stroke.
Dalton was lucky to stay on last night, he nearly wore the leg off the Limerick lad in the throw in after he was booked, heā€™s a gas fucker, never took the very tight helmet off till he was in the dressing room last night Iā€™d say, he was pouring sweat afterwards but still wearing it while watching Morrisseys speech.

The second person to say this on the forum. I recorded one point, one wide and one that hit the post.

I think Waterford will beat cork

A couple of bad misses, then.

Why do ye call him Malachy

Cian Lynch has put on about two stone of muscle and seem so to have lost that burst of acceleration that used to take him away from defenders at ease. His striking is average and is now constantly being bottled up and is losing possession. It seems to be frustrating him greatly too. Effecting his play.

1 Like

My mate from Cork who is well able to put himself about in a game said it was a sly and dirty stroke and he well deserved the red. Didnt see it myself.

Well able to put it about in a camogie game no doubt.

It was braindead from Fitzgibbon and may or may not have cost Cork severely. Was a red but there was nothing particularly dirty about it. Goalkeeper acted like a massive cunt.

1 Like