U-21 Hurling 2018

Anyone who actually watched Ronan Lynch underage knew he was far from the best player on those teams. Unbelievable stick man and an intelligent hurler, but lacks mobility, pace and a bit of work rate. Superb free taker, but probably hurt by not having a real position. Ideal as a free man, maybe could find a place as a wing back. I always felt he could be a serious midfielder, but probably doesn’t have the engine compared to his competitors.

We should have a very good team but it really does depend on how much disruption there is with the seniors. Tipp were awful at minor in 2014 but just had 2 class minor teams, they’ll be a huge threat.

1 Like

I like any team under Myler. There are 12 of them training since last august. It will catch up with them bit its a sound enough strategy for now. When it catches up is key.

New confidence will help alot too one would imagine. Could have a serious forward line

When are the games?

Would their set up be much better than the minor set up? Limericks is much weaker.

1 Like

Tbf to ronan he has outstanding vision too.

1 Like

What do you mean by this Kev? You think it’s a good thing that they’re training since August?

Yeah, and he flourished in a free role for Na Piarsaigh. But he’s always struggled to win 50-50 ball, he can’t take a man on and beat him and defensively, he’s very slow on the turn. He’s good at drifting into space but relies on others to get the ball into his hand.

Whereas Cian can win rucks totally against the odds.

Hopefully he can find a position at the highest level, he’d be a serious distributor into the forwards. None of this driving it fifty yards over their heads shit. And some man to pick off scores from distance.

Tommy Walsh (Tullaroan) ?

The new Benjamin Button ?

Hard to know. The Minors were a bit upset by dual players but Ring and John Dywer wpuld have been a decent duo. Seemed to tick alot of boxes in terms of prep anyway.

There has always been far far too much pressure heaped on these minor teams in the past as if they had to win a game to save Cork hurling. So i would temper their results a bit with that. They are no world beaters and collective work may have been hard.

But its not worst bet in the world.

1 Like

Well it has not been collective sloghing twice a week stuff but a u25 develooment squad has been doing S&C and other work together since then.

I do not know exactly whats been done but if not loaded really well there may be a collective fatigue point.

I think to bring the squad from where they were to the other teams are a real development, high volume year was needed.

So in these circumstances i think it was a good approach. But i wouldn’t be repeating it too much.

2 Likes

Why is John Walsh not starting?

Far be it for me to claim anything about Ballycallan lads looking after their own…

cough…

I’ve seen that Ryan chap hurl a few times and I thought he’d be easily good enough to make a Kilkenny u21 team. Ye must have a strong team this year

John Walsh is starting.

I assume Eddie will never be put in charge of another team again if Kilkenny are beaten tonight

Alan Murphy is after hitting three very bad wides already

Some very bad wides.

In most counties, he’d be gone already.

Dublin keeper getting huge distance on his puckouts.

Great score there from Billy Ryan. Impressive so far.

Did he break his hurley taking a puckout??