Uk Affairs - Sterling is taking a Pounding

The Tories love to throw men of colour under the bus. They’ll do it to Rishi Sunak as well.

Who will be the new Chancellor?

Talk on the radio there of jeremy hunt. One thing is for sure though, Sunak won’t touch it

1 Like

The lads on the 1922 committee made that appointment

The lads in the markets made that appointment. Safest pair of hands they could find. They couldn’t have had many choices.

1 Like

Isn’t Hunt viewed as some kind of wet remainer? The base mightn’t like it but they’ll have to go along with it.

1 Like

The textbook version of a safe pair of hands. Could ultimately get the gig in the mid term. After today Truss may be sitting in the drivers seat but the steering wheel is in the back.

Hunt certainly has all the credentials Sir Graham Brady’s clique approve of.
Multiple eccentric christain names (see Mogg) Oxford educated and I’d envisage a boring snob of the highest order.

1 Like

No it isn’t. Hunt had almost zero support when he ran for leader. The MPs have the power if they can change the rules so that the party members don’t vote for the next leader.

No way he could get it in a membership vote currently. He’d have to stand unopposed and I couldn’t see that happen, the centre of gravity in the party is way too far to the right. Some sort of reckoning would have to happen where the Brexiteers were all completely discredited within the party.

It’s just about possible he could get the Tory leadership down the line if they’re out of power because then they’ll have to row back towards appealing to the centre like Cameron had to.

You think it was Truss who went for Hunt? Not a hope. He might have been unpopular with mps but Sunak was never going to go near it under a Truss led government. Plus I reckon, you’ll see the moid change very quicky on the back benches. They are very quickly coming to the realisation that at best they have about 18 months to have some chance of keeping a few seats.

Sunak wasn’t considered. He wouldn’t be interested anyway. It’s all the one, they are done for.

1 Like

Yeah true

Probably not a million we’ve trump and Boris back next year

They’ll either both be in prison or President/PM by this time next year. Could go either way

Time for Nadhim Zahawi to take over

1 Like

I don’t accept any serious person remains a member of the Tory party.

Poor Liz iscanned the room at least twice between questions looking for anyone who wouldn’t give her a grilling. She could not find anyone and has made a swift exit after 3 or 4 questions.

2 Likes

Car crash press conference and walking away after 4 questions, has zero credibility, clearly is not up to it, she’ll be gone by Monday after that.