Uk affairs, The Double Lizzie Crisis (Part 1)

A fair tough job at times

They should be paid footballers wages so they should.

5 Likes

That is grim.

Interesting, although from read the blog it seems like they corrected those issues recently.

The “told you so” tone of todays blog doesn’t sit particularly well

In fact all their blog posts seem to threaten that a major fire will happen.

There is no excuse for failure to post fire safety instructions in all multi-use blocks. The phrase “an accident waiting to happen” springs readily to mind.

and

it is our belief that a serious and catastrophic incident will be the undoing of this mini mafia who pose as a bona fide organisation responsible for the smooth running of the RBKC’S social housing.

and

It is a truly terrifying thought but the Grenfell Action Group firmly believe that only a catastrophic event will expose the ineptitude and incompetence of our landlord, the KCTMO, and bring an end to the dangerous living conditions and neglect of health and safety legislation that they inflict upon their tenants and leaseholders.

Unreal. Any man or woman who runs into a building everyone else is running from is wired differently.

Details of the refurbishment which have since been removed from the website of the company who carried it out.

Heard an interview with a resident on the radio this morning. He said the fire alarms didn’t go off.

A man identified as Methrob, who lived on the 17th floor, told LBC Radio: “I heard the fire trucks and so I was alerted that something was going on. There was no fire alarm in the building, we don’t have an integrated fire alarm system.”

He said the fire was inside one apartment but added the “real issue was when it caught fire to the cladding outside.”

“That’s when I noticed the fire from outside when I looked out the window. The cladding went up like a matchstick.”

Methrob said residents had been concerned about safety, adding there had been warnings “for over a year”.

Another witness, Samira, told BBC News: “It escalated really quickly.
“Around midnight the fire was only around the third floor and then, before you know it, the whole 23 (sic) floors of the building were all on fire and there were people screaming for help and throwing kids out. “I think everyone felt really helpless because no one could get to them.

Christ. It must be horrifying.
Have they any idea on the number of fatalities?

Over 500 residents. Would half of them have made it out?

Sky and others saying that due to Ramadan a lot of muslims in the tower were still awake and managed to wake neighbours. Shocking that a building like that would have no integrated fire alarm system.

I find that one very puzzling. I was overseeing a bit of work on a row of buildings a few years ago and once there was any access door connecting the buildings then those buildings needed to have an integrated alarm.

They’ve a much worse level of regulation on the mainland.

Cost cutting no doubt. A Conservative controlled council as well.

The fact the fire seems to have spread from the outside and up, perhaps the internal stairwell was still accessible for a decent period of time?

Samira Lamrani told the Press Association that she saw a woman try to save a baby by dropping the child from a window “on the 9th or 10th floor” and the baby was caught by members of the public below.
“A woman was gesturing that she was about to throw her baby and if somebody could catch her baby,” she said.
Somebody did and a gentleman ran forward and managed to grab the baby.

Christ that’s grim.

She added: “I could see people from all angles, banging and screaming for help.

“Us members of the public were reassuring them, telling them we’ve done what we can and that we’ve phoned 999, but obviously the look on their face was death.

“My daughter’s friend said she observed an adult who made some sort of homemade parachute and tried to lower himself out of the window.

“The more I looked up, floor upon floor. Endless numbers of people. Mainly the kids, because obviously their voices, with their high pitched voices - that will remain with me for a long time. I could hear them screaming for their lives.”

:hushed:

Horrific

1 Like

Brutal.

Even if you were lucky enough to get out physically untouched your best case scenario is that you’re scarred for life with PTSD watching those scenes unfold.

Desperate stuff.