Uk affairs, The Double Lizzie Crisis (Part 1)

Lucky bastard.

A 13 storey block in Sheffield had a sprinkler system retrofitted for £55k in 2011.

A 12 storey block in Pontypool in Wales had one installed for £80k.

Previously, the association found that fitting a system to 47 flats in Callow Mount, a 13-storey block in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, came to £55,000, or £1,150 per flat.

The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea is flush with cash - in fact they have nearly as much of it lying around as the Cork County Board.

The council responsible for Grenfell Tower, where at least 58 people are now thought to have lost their lives after Wednesday’s horrific fire, has been accused of carrying out “unacceptable” financial practises after it emerged the borough had stockpiled £274m of usable reserves following years of chronic underspending.

There’s no way those costs cover sprinkler to the whole building, possibly the circulation areas only

Would have helped a lot even there though surely?

The fact the fire came from the outside inwards might have negated their effectiveness somewhat?

Keeping the hallways clear of fire that bit longer might have made a difference for a few of them

@Fagan_ODowd guess what?

It seems fire safety is another topic that TFK has a rake of experts in

7 Likes

Grenfell is being compared to Katrina, and for good reason. In the wake of the disaster, the relief effort was abandoned to local charities—as if London were a war zone undergoing state collapse instead of one of the world’s richest cities. Mosques and churches complained about ‘non-existent’ direction from authorities.

Survivors have reported, over and over again, not knowing where they will be sleeping, being stonewalled when they try to get information, receiving no information about missing family members and friends. One man had to ‘beg and cajole’ (his words) a nurse to find the children of his relative in a hospital. ‘Police are not identifying people,’ he said.

A woman reported having to sleep in a park with her eight-year-old child. ‘We’ve seen no one from the council. No one,’ she said. ‘We’ve lost everything,’ another survivor told a journalist. ‘How is it the mosques and churches are taking care of us and not the authorities?’

Mayor Sadiq Khan and the free London newspaper Evening Standard, edited by the former Chancellor of the Exchequer under whose direction public services were decimated, promoted a crowd-sourced charitable fund for the victims—as if the survivors of a fire in a state-owned building, in the fifth-largest economy on earth, should not expect state compensation.

There are several reports that the local council refused to assist in managing, distributing, or storing donations. ‘Where is the council?’ asked a volunteer at a local meeting on Saturday. ‘This is something that we cannot do without an enormous level of planning and coordination.’ Krishnan Guru-Murphy reported the same day ‘a shocking lack of presence, organisation and authority’ in North Kensington ‘from local and national’ government’.

Another resident told a BBC reporter the official response had been ‘absolute chaos.’ This was four days after the fire. ‘I actually can’t describe just how invisible the state has been,’ wrote local resident and rapper Akala, who has been active in local assistance efforts, yesterday. ‘It’s actually been breathtaking how absent they are.

Protect the Escape routes . Should be done in every case , although it’s likely to have saved a few lives in this instance.

They didn’t get the memo, they were supposed to die in the fire and let the more affluent citizens have their skyline back without having to worry about the peasants.

Cabinet Office Briefing Room A

She’s a shite leader Tim.

1 Like

I’ll handle the construction cost queries here pal.

120 flats x $4.5k = $540k

Less 10% for Sydney (not @Sidney) premium = $490k = £294k

So, in summary

Do those cost include valve set and tank / local authority contributions for the water supply?

Everything inside our site boundary.

Local authority is on the developer. We’d specifically noted this in our Clarifications & Exclusions.

3 Likes

Sydney premium is only 10%? I would have thought a lot more given the fucking traffic and the issues with getting plant in and out of sites.

You’re implying London isn’t exposed to similar site constraints?

Not at all, I’m just surprised the premium is only 10%.

You worry about the printer toner and I’ll handle the plant in & out of site. Capiche?

9 Likes

You handling it is what worries me.